Toronto Travel Answers

change location
bzulu67's Profile Photo

Recommended hotel and location.

by bzulu67 Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Hi all,
Arriving in Toronto by Megabus on Friday 30th August at 5:50pm and departing from Toronto On Canada airport on Tuesday 3rd September at 12:35 pm.
What cheapish hotel would you recommend for my four nights stay. I will be doing a day trip by bus (pick-up hotel) to the Niagra Falls. I want to be convenient for the popular attractions such as CN tower, Toronto Island Park, Underground Mall and the Skydome to possibly see a ice hockey match etc
How far from the recommended hotel to Toronto On Canada airport and what would be cheapest transport to get there?

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: Recommended hotel and location.

by xymmot Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 2:19 PM

airport shuttle bus is the best with free wifi on board. Cheapest hotel, check Hot Wire. Toronto has great public transportation system, so where ever your location, I am pretty sure you can get around.

cheers tommy x

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Megabus from NYC will stop also at Niagara Falls (CA) why don't you stop there and take the next day an other Megabus to Toronto?

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 4:21 PM

The cheapest way to get to Peason Airport to downtown is to take the 192 bus to Terminal 3 from Kipling Subway station. If you are staying in the downtown area, you can get to Kipling station from either the University or Yonge Subway lines that run north - south and transferring to the Bloor - Danforth line that runs east - west. Kipling station is as far west as the the subway runs and I would estimate that you are likely looking at a 15 - 20 minute bus ride.

The Toronto Coach Terminal (which is where the Megabus runs to) is right downtown roughly at Bay and Dundas Streets and is about a 5-minute walk from the Dundas Subway station on the Yonge St line. This is a good place to access the underground mall. The CN Tower and Toronto Island are all in / near the downtown area. There is no professional ice hockey in the summer, so you won't get a chance to see that (the Air Canada Centre (the professional hockey arena) is in the downtown area as well, as is the Hockey Hall of Fame). You will be in Toronto at the time that the Canadian National Exhibition is on, so you should consider going there. The Canadian International Air Show will be on Aug 31 - Sept 2 and somewhere near Exhibition Place along the waterfront is a good place to see it).

I can't help with cheap hotels. When I go to Toronto, I tend to be there on business trips and stay at mid to higher end places.

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 4:21 PM

The cheapest way to get to Peason Airport to downtown is to take the 192 bus to Terminal 3 from Kipling Subway station. If you are staying in the downtown area, you can get to Kipling station from either the University or Yonge Subway lines that run north - south and transferring to the Bloor - Danforth line that runs east - west. Kipling station is as far west as the the subway runs and I would estimate that you are likely looking at a 15 - 20 minute bus ride.

The Toronto Coach Terminal (which is where the Megabus runs to) is right downtown roughly at Bay and Dundas Streets and is about a 5-minute walk from the Dundas Subway station on the Yonge St line. This is a good place to access the underground mall. The CN Tower and Toronto Island are all in / near the downtown area. There is no professional ice hockey in the summer, so you won't get a chance to see that (the Air Canada Centre (the professional hockey arena) is in the downtown area as well, as is the Hockey Hall of Fame). You will be in Toronto at the time that the Canadian National Exhibition is on, so you should consider going there. The Canadian International Air Show will be on Aug 31 - Sept 2 and somewhere near Exhibition Place along the waterfront is a good place to see it).

I can't help with cheap hotels. When I go to Toronto, I tend to be there on business trips and stay at mid to higher end places.

• RACCOON1's Profile Photo

by RACCOON1 Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Hockey is played at the Air Canada Center( NHL) or the Ricoh Centre ( AHL).
    The Blue Jays will be playing at the Skydome ( Rogers Centre) at that time of year.
    You ar a bit early for hockey as the regular season starts in mid October
    for the Maple Leafs (NHL) and Marlies ( AHL).
    You may be too early for exhibition games.
    Schedules come out just after the NHL draft at the end of June.

• RACCOON1's Profile Photo

by RACCOON1 Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Hockey is played at the Air Canada Center( NHL) or the Ricoh Centre ( AHL).
    The Blue Jays will be playing at the Skydome ( Rogers Centre) at that time of year.
    You ar a bit early for hockey as the regular season starts in mid October
    for the Maple Leafs (NHL) and Marlies ( AHL).
    You may be too early for exhibition games.
    Schedules come out just after the NHL draft at the end of June.

• July2's Profile Photo

by July2 Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 7:59 PM

The following site provides info. for public transportation - it may be worth your while to invest in a day pass, or even a weekly pass, if you know you'll be using subway/buses/streetcars a lot ..... http://www.ttc.ca/.

Also, that last weekend in August is a long weekend, with Monday 2/Sept. being a holiday (Labour Day). This shouldn't affect you other than the city will be somewhat more busy with the activities mentioned above (CNE/airshow).

Re. the airshow, a good place to see it is out on the lake on one of the boats. If the day is clear the skyline is impressive, along with the airshow. I've viewed it this way from one of the 'tallships' (Kajama).

I can't help with hotels, however if you look back a ways in the Toronto forum, there should be info. on hostels, if that helps.

• July2's Profile Photo

by July2 Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 8:17 PM

http://www.rogerscentrehotels.com/ .. (Skydome) I can't recommend The Strathcona as I live in Toronto therefore don't stay in hotels - but know the location and it is handy/walking distance for the sights.

• bzulu67's Profile Photo

by bzulu67 Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Thank you all very much for the info' Very much appreciated.
    Keith

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 3:12 AM

The Sky Dome hotel is quite expensive, so I rather doubt it will fall into your "Cheapish" requirement.

• July2's Profile Photo

by July2 Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Oh no, I wasn't suggesting the actual Skydome Hotel itself, merely linking Skydome to the Rogers Centre name as being one-and-the-same (I wish places would just stick with their original name) .... and suggesting from the hotels listed on that particular site that The Strathcona may be worth a look - I have seen it mentioned in this forum but it was quite a while ago.

• loose_motion's Profile Photo

by loose_motion Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 10:35 AM

There are independent rooms with shared washrooms and kitchens for about $40 a night all over the place . Does that intrest you ?

• bzulu67's Profile Photo

by bzulu67 Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Thanks for that. I've got a good price for a hotel and booked it.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines