Toronto Travel Answers

change location
Aerodynamic's Profile Photo

Credit card questions! I am confused!

by Aerodynamic Online Now Apr 23, 2007 at 7:41 AM

Hi all,

Can someone please clarify with me what kind of card i need to be able to pay in shops etc and more importantly rent a car in Toronto?

I have a Visa Electron which should be fine for withdrawing cash from ATMs and also a Visa Classic Card (embossed).
Both card are debits.

My question is do I really need a 'Credit' card to eg: rent a car?? or should my Visa Classic be fine for this?

Any comments appreciated, Thanks!
aeRo

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • graememooney's Profile Photo

Re: Credit card questions! I am confused!

by graememooney Online Now Apr 23, 2007 at 10:43 AM

As far as I'm aware you need a real credit card to rent a car. They pre-authorize your insurance deductible amount. Your Visa Classic sounds different from our "Visa Classic" which is a credit card. It has a pre-set spending limit that requires a credit application approval and is not your own money being spent.

I hope that clarifies things a bit for you.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

by SWFC_Fan Online Now Apr 23, 2007 at 11:18 AM

Hi

Just a quick word of caution:

I took my Visa Electron card with me when I visited Toronto and it was fine for withdrawing cash from ATMs in the city centre...but not at the airport. Unless anything has changed in the last 15 months, the ATMs at Pearson airport don't accept Visa Electron cards (or any other Visa cards if memory serves correct). I had to walk to a bank about 10-15 minutes away from the airport (and then back again) to get some cash in order to pay for my taxi to the city centre. If you are going to require some cash upon arrival it might be a good idea to take some Canadian Dollars with you.

Enjoy your trip,

Jonathan

• graememooney's Profile Photo

by graememooney Online Now Apr 23, 2007 at 11:25 AM

Good advice SWFC Fan although you made me chuckle. You probably would've been cheaper grabbing a cab when you were off airport property than getting one at the airport ~ just an heads-up for next time :D

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

by SWFC_Fan Online Now Apr 23, 2007 at 11:42 AM

Haha - yes, that's a good point Graeme! :-)

I clearly wasn't thinking straight at the time - I'll have to blame the jetlag, the interrogation at passport control and the mindnumbingly cold (for a Brit) temperatures for that! ;-)

After those few initial blips at the airport, things got better when I reached Toronto and I had a great time there in the end! It's a wonderful city that you live in.

• Aerodynamic's Profile Photo

by Aerodynamic Online Now Apr 24, 2007 at 5:37 AM

Thanks guys,

This gives me a bit more understanding.
    Worst case I'd have to take cash out every now and then.

Looking forward to Toronto in a week's time ;)

Cheers,
    aeRo

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines