Tongariro National Park

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Accomodation

Cape Reinga Mar 24, 2014 at 2:05 AM

Hi there back in 2000 i stayed at a place just before Cape Reinga i think it might have been 20mins before cape reinga but i cant find the place we stayed at and i cant remember the hotel / camping place it had a restaurant and little shop on it and we stayed in like a cabin.

please help :)

more
    • kattierivera's Profile Photo

Shopping sales in AKL

Auckland Apr 8, 2014 at 5:16 AM

I'll visit AKL next month and I know there are lots of expensive stuff there. I want to know how often do AKL stores (clothes etc) have sales? Every week? Month? Thank you

more
    • doing the tongariro crossing

by 21traveller Online Now May 15, 2013 at 2:47 AM

can someone recommend a a good basic place to stay that provides transport to support the walking of the Tongariro Crossing.

1 Answer May 15, 2013 at 3:11 AM
    • weather at tongariro end of march

by kelly_24 Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Hello All,

I will be visiting north NZ and i will reach the National Park around 30th March or 1st April. Does anyone know if it is more likely or less likely the weather be suitable for the walk around these dates? Will greatly appreciate cos I am slightly short of time, and I'm thinking to allocate the walk one more day in case the weather is not appropriate. I will be very disappointed if I don't get to do the walk....

Thank you!
      Kelly :)

9 Answers Apr 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    • Redcat255's Profile Photo

Taupo and Tongariro

by Redcat255 Online Now Dec 23, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I'm planning a (relatively) whirlwind tour of Australia and New Zealand. 14 days on the ground (17 days total, including flights).

We're a young, active couple in our twenties and looking to see as many natural wonders as possible. (Less concerned with seeing the cities.)

We're flying into Auckland and want to head straight to the Taupo/Tongariro area for probably 3 days (1 day to get over jetlag and 2 days to see the sites).

First off, if I can find a cheap flight, is it better to fly to Taupo or take a bus to the area? I'm seeing flights for NZ$89 right now, which seems not that much more than the buses, and the buses require connections.

Second, if we do the Tongariro Alpine Crossing, is one day enough to see all of the highlights in the park, with a second day in Taupo proper seeing the falls and other nearby attractions? Or, are we better off skipping Taupo proper and just spending two full days in the park (plus a day perhaps in Taupo at the beginning to get over jetlag).

Finally, is it alright to stay in Taupo for all of this, or worth getting a hotel down closer to Tongariro? I have a ton of Hilton points from business travel, so I could get as many free nights as necessary at the Hilton in Lake Taupo. Worth paying out of pocket to stay in/near the park?

5 Answers Dec 29, 2012 at 9:14 PM
    • karwal.bubble's Profile Photo

Things to keep in mind prior going to national park for 2 days

by karwal.bubble Online Now Jul 16, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Hi,

We are a group of 7 people, planning to visit national park this weekend. Will reach national park on saturday morning(around 10). Just want to know which things need to be carried for this trip.??Please advice..

Thanks,
      Baljit

3 Answers Jul 17, 2012 at 10:35 PM
    • Tongariro Crossing in 1 day

by seetkw Online Now Jun 26, 2012 at 7:05 AM

Hi, my family of 4, 2 adults and 2 kids of 8 and 9 are planning to visit the North Island Of NZ. And we hope to be able to do the Tongariro Crossing. I have heard from my friends good things and we are keen to do it in December. We have started doing walks regularly ranging from 10 km - 13 km recently. WE also cycle regularly distances of 32 km and so on. i am wondering if these preparations are sufficient? What is your advice with regards to safety for my kids? Is it ok for them to do the walk?

4 Answers Jun 27, 2012 at 9:54 PM
    • Visiting Tongariro National Park with a 9 Year Old

by cherry3736 Online Now Feb 10, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Hi,

My husband and I will bring our daughter to visit NZ in mid April. We will stay in Whakapapa Village for one night (arrive around dinner time). Our plan is to spend 3 hours in Tongariro next morning. Then we have to drive to Wellington to take the ferry at 4:30. Are there any kid-friendly activities in the park? I saw the recommendation of the chairlifting before. Souds like a good idea. But how long will that take? Will we be able to make the way back within 3 hours? We can not miss the ferry for sure.
      Also, can anybody give us some advise on the plan - will we have enought time to accomplish both goals? Thanks very much!

4 Answers Feb 15, 2011 at 5:50 AM
    • uktxgirl's Profile Photo

Hikes in Tongariro Park in early April

by uktxgirl Online Now Mar 7, 2010 at 5:22 PM

My husband and I are of moderate fitness, although he has some knee problems and uses poles to hike. We love to hike and will be visiting Tongariro National Park early April. We're hesitant to do the full crossing, because of potential bad weather conditions, but would love to see the volcanoes. Which hikes would you recommend, and is it possible to just hike to Red Crater rim?

6 Answers Mar 8, 2010 at 7:59 PM
    • 9tigers's Profile Photo

I really really want to hike to emerald lake

by 9tigers Online Now Oct 23, 2009 at 4:51 AM

however, from what I read
      From Mangatepopo Rd end to Mangatepopo Hut is 15 mins
      From Mangatepopo Hut to Mangatepopo Saddle is 1 ½ hr
      From Mangatepopo saddle to Emerald Lake is 2 hrs

it maybe just too much for us, also we have no idea if the hiking is steep or it is flat, it may take more than 4 hrs to get there and there is no way we can just get it back, is there acompodation somewhere in saddle area?

3 Answers Oct 30, 2009 at 2:11 PM
    • beausimon's Profile Photo

Is advisable to do the crossing in mid-May?

by beausimon Online Now Apr 21, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Hi,
      Is it too late to do the Tongariro Alpine crossing in mid-May? Would it be covered with snow by then and the great views gone?

Thanks

5 Answers Apr 23, 2009 at 9:00 PM
    • what activities

by margureta Online Now May 19, 2008 at 4:55 PM

what are the activities available(describe and name).
      And also cold you please (describe)the facilities available.
      many thanks margaret.

4 Answers May 20, 2008 at 9:13 PM
    • children walking tongariro crossing

by novice23 Online Now Jan 2, 2007 at 7:44 PM

Hi we are a family with 2 children 9 & 11 of moderate fitness and are looking at doing the track later in January. Has anyone done track with kids, is it two bigger ask of them? any advise. much appreciated.

4 Answers Jan 3, 2007 at 1:49 PM
    • wondering2's Profile Photo

Tongariro Crossing Tips

by wondering2 Online Now Jan 3, 2006 at 7:57 AM

We are planning to do the Tongariro Crossing but have a few questions.
      Besides the huts I see on the map, are there any "water stations" during the hike somewhere? Wondering how much water to pack. We intend on doing the trek in one day.

What is the bus service like? I guess what I'm asking is if it's pretty reliable and what happens if we miss the pick up bus at the end of the hike? Should we try to leave our car there at the end of the trail and possibly hire someone to take us to the starting point instead?

One question, kind of off the subject..... We're renting a car while we are there and have read a lot about the destructive birds, Kea, and how they can/will damage cars (windshield wipers, etc.) Do they sell a "Kea repellent" (ha!) there? I know it sounds like a funny question but it seems like that would be a great invention if they do not. Here in Texas, they sell all sorts of "natural" type repellents for pesky rodents, etc.

6 Answers Jan 4, 2006 at 10:02 PM
    • Accommodation for Tongarrio Crossing

by Famfour Online Now Jan 5, 2005 at 3:34 PM

We (ma, pa, kids 11 & 13) are going to (weather permitting) do the crossing Feb. 23 or 24. I have looked into various accommodation choices and am looking to send inquiries possibly to Howards Lodge (nation park village), or Club Habitat and Parklands Motor Lodge (Turangi) or Ohakune Top 10 Holiday Park and The Hobbit Motor Lodge (Ohakune). Just wondering if anyone has any insights/comments on any of these accommodations and/or pros/cons of basing out of Turangi vs. Ohakune vs. National Park Village for the crossing. Looks like shuttles for crossing are available from all locations. Thank you.

2 Answers Jan 6, 2005 at 9:12 AM
    • mperezba's Profile Photo

Tongariro Crossing for Dummies ;-)

by mperezba Online Now Nov 18, 2003 at 3:57 PM

Hi VT Members, I need information on the Tongariro Crossing. Is it really a must in my travels in the North Island? I'm not really fit, but I enjoy walking and photography. I should be arriving in the park on Dec. 20th (my birthday!!), sometime in the afternoon. I'll have to check into a hotel or the like. Any recommendations? I found some info on the Discovery Lodge. Anyone knows it? The next day should be for the crossing. I understand is a one-way 6 to 7 hour tramp. Are tracks properly marked and safe? How do I get back to the hotel (or parking lot where I started from)? Is is better to begin the walk really early in the morning (because of temperature and/or light conditions) or can I take it easy and start at 9 am? I'd be very grateful for any help. Thanks a lot!! Maria

7 Answers Nov 26, 2003 at 11:40 AM
    • martin_nl's Profile Photo

Tongariro Crossing

by martin_nl Online Now Sep 14, 2003 at 6:32 AM

I will be taking the Kiwi Experience bus a method of transportation in NZ. The bus can drop me off at Turangi or Taupo. What would be the best place to get off if I want to do the Tongariro Crossing? How do I get from these places to the start of the walk? I hope you can help me with an answer, if you have other suggestions please let me know. Martin

3 Answers Sep 24, 2003 at 8:22 AM
    • Lappiekris's Profile Photo

Visit NZ

by Lappiekris Online Now Jul 8, 2003 at 1:49 PM

Hello, we are a bunch of guys who would like to visit NZ. We have a lot of general information but we would like to have some info about spots who are worthwhile seeing and not commercially exploited Is there some one who could give us some spots??? Thanks in advance

5 Answers Jul 9, 2003 at 7:40 PM