Tongariro National Park Travel Answers

change location
karwal.bubble's Profile Photo

Things to keep in mind prior going to national park for 2 days

by karwal.bubble Online Now Jul 16, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Hi,

We are a group of 7 people, planning to visit national park this weekend. Will reach national park on saturday morning(around 10). Just want to know which things need to be carried for this trip.??Please advice..

Thanks,
Baljit

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Martialsk's Profile Photo

Re: Things to keep in mind prior going to national park for 2 days

by Martialsk Online Now Jul 16, 2012 at 6:30 PM

What are your plans whilst in National Park?
    Since it is winter-time I'd suggest warm clothing, sturdy boots and waterproof gear...and take extra care on the roads.
    It is relatively mild during the day at the moment but we've had a lot of rain so snow on the mountain isn't great for skiing (unless you are all absolute beginners and will only use the lower trails at both Whakapapa and Turoa ski fields). Walking trails are a bit soggy too but having the right gear will help with that.
    I live here so if I can help out let me know.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jul 17, 2012 at 8:30 PM

The forecast is for morning temperatures of just above freezing point and zero chance of rain, meaning no snow either. It will be cold but fine.

See here:

metservice.com/mountain/tong...

• kotitihaere's Profile Photo

by kotitihaere Online Now Jul 17, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Kia ora!

The rule of thumb when being outdoors in NZ is be prepared for 4 seasons in one day - I kid you not!

Dress in layers and as the day heats up you can remove a layer. This means that instead of wearing one big bulky heavy jacket that is warm wear a few thinner jackets or long sleeved flannelette shirts. This way you can take off a thin jacket and not freeze instead of just having the option of taking off one bulky heavy jacket.

Also have a good scarf, hat and gloves and if you can thermals - both tops and bottoms as all of these items will help you stay warm.

A waterproof jacket or coat I would also recommend that will also cut down the wind. I personally have a gortex shell - when I was in the Borneo jungles in monsoon season even with that hard rain beating down I was completely dry!

Comfortable, sturdy shoes for walking - if you want, depending on what they are made of you can get dubbin (if they are leather) or a silicone spray to help make them a bit more waterproof. A change of socks.

Carry water with you.

Energy bars - muesli and chocolate - these are VERY good to have. Make sure you don't eat them all in the first few hours - save some til you get back, unless there is an emergency and you need something to eat you will be prepared.

A cellphone - putting it in a ziplock type of bag that is airtight will help to protect it.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Tongariro National Park