change location
9tigers's Profile Photo

I really really want to hike to emerald lake

by 9tigers Online Now Oct 23, 2009 at 4:51 AM

however, from what I read
From Mangatepopo Rd end to Mangatepopo Hut is 15 mins
From Mangatepopo Hut to Mangatepopo Saddle is 1 ½ hr
From Mangatepopo saddle to Emerald Lake is 2 hrs

it maybe just too much for us, also we have no idea if the hiking is steep or it is flat, it may take more than 4 hrs to get there and there is no way we can just get it back, is there acompodation somewhere in saddle area?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Kimi_the_Bear's Profile Photo

Re: I really really want to hike to emerald lake

by Kimi_the_Bear Online Now Oct 25, 2009 at 12:35 AM

There is no accommodation at the Mangatepopo Saddle. The Hut is the only place you could stay at - but normally people stay at a hotel/motel/hostel in National Park or Whakapapa Village and then take a bus to the start of the Tongariro Crossing Track.

The Emerald Lakes are about half-way through the hike. It is at the foot of the Red Crater. The track from the Central Crater down the slopes of the Red Crater is steep downhill, and from then on the other half of the hike is flat and a LOT downhill.

On the first part of the hike you have one uphill section from the M. Hut to the M. Saddle. This is not really long.

If you want to see the Emerald Lakes you have to be fit enough to walk the whole T. Crossing Track, as they are half-way through the walk. You have to be able to walk 8 to 9 hours.

It would be much more exhausting to walk back to M. Hut from the Emerald Lakes than to walk to the other end of the track, as the ascent back up the Red Crater is really long and steep. And the shuttle buses would pick you up at the other end, not at Mangatepopo Road.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • 9tigers's Profile Photo

by 9tigers Online Now Oct 30, 2009 at 6:32 AM

I will hve to miss it then :(

• Kimi_the_Bear's Profile Photo

by Kimi_the_Bear Online Now Oct 30, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Given your concerns about your fitness I am sure it is better to give the Emerald Lakes a miss. I hope you find another place you will love as much.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Tongariro National Park