Tongariro National Park Travel Answers

change location
martin_nl's Profile Photo

Tongariro Crossing

by martin_nl Online Now Sep 14, 2003 at 6:32 AM

I will be taking the Kiwi Experience bus a method of transportation in NZ. The bus can drop me off at Turangi or Taupo. What would be the best place to get off if I want to do the Tongariro Crossing? How do I get from these places to the start of the walk? I hope you can help me with an answer, if you have other suggestions please let me know. Martin

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • ombre's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Tongariro Crossing

by ombre Online Now Sep 14, 2003 at 8:51 AM

speaking of getting off the kiwi's seem to think that sheep are a good idea for this so hope your not to shocked if you see the farmer showing his animals a bit of love it's strange land hope ya have fun and hope they dont talk to much rugby to you while your there ha ha. i have good mate in kiwi land one of the best drinkers on this fair planet of ours want me to get in contact with him he sure can party :)maybe not the kiwi experience ya after lol

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mountainpoet's Profile Photo

Re: Tongariro Crossing

by mountainpoet Online Now Sep 15, 2003 at 5:31 PM

Turangi is closest. There are shuttle buses that can drop you off at the start of the trail. Turangi Info Center can help. You can start the crossing either from Mangatepopo Valley or from Ketetahi Springs Carpark. I would recommend from Mangatepopo which makes the climb a bit friendlier. Some people start from Whakapapa which makes the hike a bit longer and would probably mean a night in a hut for you. Have fun! If you have any questions then email me. Tongariro was my old playground.

• martin_nl's Profile Photo

Re: Tongariro Crossing

by martin_nl Online Now Sep 24, 2003 at 8:22 AM

Thanks for your help guys. I think easiest will be if I go to Taupo. That way I don't lose any time by waiting for the bus. I checked out some sites and from Taupo it is also easy to to a day trip and walk a bit on the Crossing. Really looking forward to it!! Martin

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Tongariro National Park