Tonga Travel Answers

change location

Moving to Tonga

by fauxfox5 Online Now Sep 24, 2010 at 7:25 AM

I am an American moving to Tonga and I want to take my dog. I have tried several avenues to get information about the regulations of bringing an animal into the country, without success. Also, is there a vet in Nuku'alofa?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Moving to Tonga

by leics Online Now Sep 24, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Have you contacted the Consulate General of Tonga in the USA?

360 Post St, Suite 604
    CA 94-108
    San Francisco
    USA
    Phone:
    +1-415 7810365

Failing that, I am sure the Tongan Visitors' Bureau will be able to point you in the right direction:

tongaholiday.com/?page_id=51...

Contact info@tvb.gov.to

or perhaps the Ministry of Information:

enquiries@mic.gov.to

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Moving to Tonga

by fauxfox5 Online Now Sep 24, 2010 at 11:59 AM

I sent an email to the consulate in Frisco but, no reply as of yet. That's why I am using this forum. I think I will get quicker results.

• leics's Profile Photo

Re: Moving to Tonga

by leics Online Now Sep 24, 2010 at 12:06 PM

I hope you will do so.

• kiwi's Profile Photo

Moving to Tonga

by kiwi Online Now Sep 24, 2010 at 1:43 PM

The following page is for animals from New Zealand, but you may get some insight to your situation. As stated, these requirements are for export to Tonga but you do need an Import Permit:

biosecurity.govt.nz/exports/...

• Re: Moving to Tonga I got what you need!

by JulieOakley Online Now Jan 20, 2011 at 1:32 AM

I live in Oregon and I am moving to Vava'u in March 2011. I have copies of applications to import animals to tonga and even know the better airline, at least through my research, to fly them on affordably. That is, if you are on the west coast. We are driving to L.A to fly out because it is easier and far more cost effective to do so. Let me know if you need assistance still.
    Julie

by mariyurveda Online Now Nov 14, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Hi Julie, did you get to Tonga? Do you have some time to answer questions? My boyfriend and I want to move there from Salt Lake City for about a year. Just curious how you like it and if you have recommedations for where to live, etc. Also wanted to know about internet (we're web designers, so no internet would be no work!) And we're looking at taking 2-3 of our dogs with us. Anything you could offer in advice would be so appreciated!! I hope you're move has been absolutely wonderful!!

by fauxfox5 Online Now Nov 14, 2011 at 2:47 PM

To Muriyurveda...I too needed the internet in order to work. It would go up and down all day, making it impossible to continue my job. Without be able to earn any money, I reluctantly returned to the States. I understand they are working on improving the internet's reliability. But that will take time. There are proposed foreign investments into the country which should be an inducement for the Tongan government to take action to improve the internet capabilities.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Tonga Travel Answer Locations