Tonga Travel Answers

change location

Where to stay in Tonga ?

by richarda17 Online Now Oct 12, 2008 at 3:44 AM

I am hoping you can give me some advice/tips on where to stay in Tonga please ?

Basically we have flights ( courtesy of frequent flyer pts to use up before expiry ) to Tongatapu in Feb. next year for a 7 night stay and am now trying to work out where would be best to spend our time.

We are keen on snorkelling ....... is there any coral and/or plenty of fish life to view near the shore off the main island of Tongatapu or would we need to head to an offshore island ?

Also Tongatapu seems to offer more places of interest to visit than an offshore island :

e.g.

• The Royal Palace and the Royal Tombs
• Ancient Capital of Mu’a
• Ha’amonga
• Blowholes

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Where to stay in Tonga ?

by takeyama Online Now Feb 25, 2009 at 8:47 AM

When I looked for hotels for my Tongan trip, my attention was arrested by the Nerima Lodge, which was not really beautiful, but at least cheap. The owner is too kind, but it was suspicious that she keeps the address of the motel in secret and doesn’t even show a map of it. I looked after it what is this Nerima Lodge and Naoko actually. I found the following comments on www.tripadvisor.com

2008-08-22 (Wellingtonkiwi)
    We stayed in Nuku'alofa for one night - thank god! The Nerima Lodge was dramatically different from their website. The double room with ensuite we were given did not seem to have been cleaned from the previous guests. The bathroom was disgusting. The shower was not clean, with grime and gross hairs on the walls and basin. The rubbish bin was full and there were other guest's empty toiletries bottles on the floor. The common area was also the host's own kitchen area (& smoking room) and was over cluttered, very dirty and also included the cat's overflowing litter tray. The Host's pets roamed in and out of the house including eating off the tables. We were asked to take our shoes off when we entered the common areas which by the end our stay our feet were filthy with dirt and dog hair. The lodge does not seem to be in a peaceful end of town, as we were constantly kept awake with every noise you can imagine. From pigs, to roosters, alley cats, dogs barking and also the continual noise from a water pump. The host's chain smoking filled the lodge with the smell. We woke up to the smell creeping up the stairs. Asthmatics beware!

The only positive I can say was that the host was the most friendliest person, who made an effort to make us feel welcome.

My suggestions to the host would be to clean up the common areas, ensure the rooms have been serviced before new guests arrive, provide earplugs and maybe smoke outside? or in the private part of the house.

2008-09-29 (rottiefans)
    Unfortunately Nerima Lodge is located in a suburban neighbourhood which means insomnia is a high possibility due to the sounds of the local panelbeating shop along with dogs, pigs, and roosters from the early hours. Nonsmokers beware as the host smokes downstairs and smoking is permitted on the upstairs verandah which means it will permeate the guest rooms. This is all a bit unfortunate as Naoko was a friendly, helpful host offering spotlessly clean rooms with comfortable futons.

Reading these, I also became nauseated and I didn’t want to stay there.
    I suggest the ingenuous clean Japanese be aware since it often occurs that even if they book an other cheap accomodation,
    they will be sent here.

Yamada Takeshi

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Where to stay in Tonga ?

by takeyama Online Now Feb 25, 2009 at 8:51 AM

以前トンガ旅行を計画したことがある。
    そのとき気づいたことを日本の皆さんにも知って貰いたいと思って、この文章を書いた。
    僕は宿を探していて、Nerimaロッジというあまり綺麗じゃない宿を見つけた。
    きれいではないけども、ともかく安いことは安い。
    だけど宿の住所が公開されてないし、地図も載せてないだなんて、Nerimaロッジ
    の持ち主は親切すぎるってものじゃないかな。おかしいぞと思った僕は、注意してこの宿と