Tonga Travel Answers

change location

Moving to Tonga?

by rnsplus4 Online Now Sep 21, 2003 at 4:02 PM

I am very interested in moving my family to Tonga. I am VERY into the way of life there... How do the people of Tonga feel about outsiders? Anyone else done the same thing?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Re: Moving to Tonga?

by DasRheingold Online Now Sep 21, 2003 at 4:19 PM

outsiders......people of Tonga eat them.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by ramaroo Online Now Oct 20, 2003 at 5:08 AM

I spent three months teaching in the Catholic School on Ha'apai. When I arrived there people were extremely weary of me because of my look. I am very petite with bright blonde hair and pale skin, something which many of the islanders had never accounted. Although this was difficult at first it soon became of no importance and I was accepted in true Tongan style. If you are at all made to feel like an outsider it will only be because they are interested in outside life as it is something they rarely come across. I still have not met a culture as special as Tonga as im sure you know. I must also add that if you are thinking of moving to Vava'u or Tongatapu, they are much more accustomed to outsiders and most of the time welcome them as we are beneficial for their economy and for their learning. I would be very interested to know where you are thinking of relocating to. If you have children they will be schooled according to their religion and they too will be quickly accepted and probably be very popular. Please let me know how it all goes and I hope this has been helpful.

• travelthrough's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Moving to Tonga?

by travelthrough Online Now Jul 18, 2006 at 7:07 PM

very intelligent answer, rheingold. certainly very helpful.

• floyd111's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Moving to Tonga?

by floyd111 Online Now Aug 13, 2006 at 12:27 AM

Cooked or baked?
    That's the question.
    Manfred

by coryscorner Online Now Mar 20, 2014 at 9:27 AM

I have been to Tonga, and they really accepted our family with open arms. They were incredibly generous even though many of them have very little. Vava'u is my favorite place on earth.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Tonga Travel Answer Locations