Tokyo Travel Answers

change location
platapus's Profile Photo

Only nine hours in Yokohama\Tokyo

by platapus Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 9:47 PM

My wife and I will be passengers on a cruise ship which will be in Yokohama for only a few hours in May of this year. We are both aged in our mid to late 70's and do not walk as far or as fast as we once did.

We have never been to Japan, and it would be nice to at least drive to the city ....and see at least something so that we can take the memory away with us.

May I ask a couple of questions please.....

What does a taxi cost from Yokohama to Tokyo..... how far is it and how long will it take to drive the distance?

If we did take a taxi as mentioned above... is there a single, must see location we should should use as a "destination address" to give the taxi driver.... maybe a couple of destinations which would at least give us the opportunity to feel the "flavour" of the city.

I personally would like to "see" Mount Fuji, but have no idea whether this would be feasible.

If we did NOT visit Tokyo....then what are the suggestions for us to drive and see in Yokohama etc Is there a "market" environment in Yokohama.

Any other advice or recommendation would be very much appreciated.........\\

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Re: Only nine hours in Yokohama\Tokyo

by Borisborough Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Hi - Mt Fuji is great; we had the pleasure of seeing it for the first time in June this year but we had a bit more time than you - two days in that part of Japan. The drive from Yokohama to Mt Fuji is about two and a half hours; so likely a five hour round trip plus time there - probably not feasible. We did stay in Tokyo for a few days but we weren't over-impressed with the city and found Kyoto and especially Hiroshima more rewarding. I'll leave it to others on VT to suggest must-see sights in Tokyo. Either way, enjoy Japan!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • dru46's Profile Photo

Re: Only nine hours in Yokohama\Tokyo

by dru46 Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I personally wouldn't visit Tokyo. It is not too far away, but for the time and energy, you are better of staying in Yokohama. Things aren't THAT different.

In terms of driving, 2 hours is a LONG time. You can go from Yokohama Station to Shibuya Station in about 30-40 minutes on an express train. However, as I said, you can easily see what you'd like to see in the same time in Yokohama.

You can easily visit an electronics shop for 15-45 minutes to get the experience. You can walk around all of the streets at Yokohama Station. Minato Mirai, just next to the terminal, has a lot of nice places. It may not be the "Japan" experience you are looking for though. A trip up Landmark Tower will give you the best chance to see Mt. Fuji. I doubt you can really go anywhere close though.

Also found the Sankei Gardens (japan-guide.com/e/e3205.html.... Looks pretty good and something Japanese for you.

That should be enough to fill a leisurely paced day.

1 member found this helpful

• Rabbityama's Profile Photo

by Rabbityama Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 8:42 PM

From Landmark Tower you can also get a great view of Tokyo Sky Tree.

If you wanted to see something more traditional, Kamakura is less than 30 minutes away by train from Yokohama.

• Bilimari's Profile Photo

by Bilimari Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 6:35 AM

I agree with Dru. Considering the limited time you have, I wouldn't recommend you going to Tokyo. FYI, below is a link to Yokohama city's official site with town/activity info in English. I think there's plenty of places to visit in Yokohama that you will create great memories of your trip to Japan. city.yokohama.lg.jp/kowan/en...

• p_yenyen's Profile Photo

by p_yenyen Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 6:10 AM

I would only stay in Yokohama given the time frame. Last Dec, i travel to Yokohama and spend about half day there. I love visiting to the Cup noodle Museum, however, didnt have the opportunity to enrol in the cup noodles making. From the cup noodles museum to the Chinatown is a long walk.. Chinatown is another area that you can explore.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines