Tokyo Travel Answers

change location

shinjuku to waseda university

by tokma Online Now May 21, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Hello,
will be going to Tokyo 14-18 June and be at Waseda 16-17 June. I have been advised to take train from shinjuku to Takadanobaba. I understand that Shinjuku is the busiest train station in the world and I am not sure if I can find the right exit. It is a frightening prospect and this is my first visit to Tokyo. what travelling hours should I avoid to avoid being packed during rush hours? Can I survive the train system? I am learning a bit of Japanese but not very good progress.
. Thank you.

Tok Ma

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • dru46's Profile Photo

Re: shinjuku to waseda university

by dru46 Online Now May 22, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Travelling from Shinjuku to Takadanobaba is really easy. There are actually 3 ways to get to Waseda from Shinjuku but it also depends on where you are staying.

To put it very simply, go to the JR Shinjuku Station. There are 5 companies that service Shinjuku and use Shinjuku as the station name. JR is the most prominent and shouldn't be a problem at all. Go to the Yamanote Line. The signs for the Yamanote Line are all lime green. The platform is on the west side of the station. Make sure you take the right train that is heading towards Ikebukuro.

The Yamanote Line goes all the way to Takadanobaba. At Takadanobaba, it is a 15-20 minute walk to Waseda's main campus. You can alternatively head to the Tokyo Metro Tozai Line and go one station. Takes about 10 minutes if you can catch the train on time. Otherwise, add up to 10 minutes...

As for when to avoid the trains, avoid it from 7am till 9am. It is still busy but not as bad. Avoid the afternoon rush too which is roughly 5:20pm till 8pm. You should be okay after 7pm though.

If you know roughly where you are staying, I can give a few more details if you want. Honestly, it is pretty easy. The first time is the scariest but all of the signs have English.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SfumatoPants's Profile Photo

by SfumatoPants Online Now May 22, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Can you read the number 25? If so, you can follow the signs to the correct exit (or whatever number your exit will be).

Yes, the crowd is thick and fast, but you don't need to be. Slow down, breathe... follow the signs. You are in the middle of a vast video game and you have to solve the puzzle.

You will survive.

• Re: shinjuku to waseda university

by tokma Online Now May 22, 2012 at 8:55 PM

THANK YOU. YES, HOPE TO SURVIVE AND LIVE TO TELL THE TALE

by tokma Online Now May 22, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Thank you for your help. will be staying at Washington shinjuku.

• dru46's Profile Photo

by dru46 Online Now May 23, 2012 at 2:51 AM

From the Washington Hotel, ask for the directions to Shinjuku Station. It is pretty close. I think that as you exit the hotel, turn left. I could be wrong. Head east and along the main road. The main entrance is not on the main street though but you can't miss it. Just be aware that the Odakyu Line is next to the JR Line. As you walk, you will pass the Lumine Department Store. Look for the dark green and white sign and that is the JR station. If you take the Narita Express, go to the south exit and you'll know what to do right away.

by tokma Online Now May 23, 2012 at 4:54 PM

thank you , or in one of my 3 vocabulary of japanese words ...arigato kuzaimase?

• dru46's Profile Photo

by dru46 Online Now May 23, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Should say "arigato GOzaimasu". ^^

Douitashimashite, or the easy way to remember "Don't touch my moustache". :D

• SfumatoPants's Profile Photo

by SfumatoPants Online Now May 23, 2012 at 10:30 PM

LOL! - gotta laugh.

by tokma Online Now May 24, 2012 at 4:25 AM

that's a good one.

by tokma Online Now Jun 20, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Never did take the train after all. It was raining heavily on Saturday morning, the day I had to go to Waseda. Instead had to take a taxi costing me 2000Yen. Would not have made it to shinjuku station in ten minutes, not with my walking speed . Like what one of the members said, the crowd is thick and fast and here I was totally confused, thick and slow. 4 days later managed to take the train via undeground passageway from Washington Shinjuku hotel to shinjuku station. Of course I got on the wrong trains and had to reverse my journey a couple of times. It was indeed a steep learning curve.

• dru46's Profile Photo

by dru46 Online Now Jun 21, 2012 at 6:12 PM

You survived and that's the important thing. ^^

by tokma Online Now Jun 22, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Yes, I survived to tell my tale and promised myself that I will make another trip to Japan

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines