Tokyo Travel Answers

change location
pedsnrs2001's Profile Photo

First timer in Tokyo

by pedsnrs2001 Online Now Apr 2, 2012 at 1:31 AM

My daughter and I will be visiting Tokyo in June 7-14. We will be staying in Ikebukuro the whole trip. So far these are the highlights that I've planned in visiting:
Tsukiji fish market Harajuku
Akihabara Shibuya
Imperial Palace Shinjuku
Tokyo Tower Sensoji park
Asakusa Ueno PArk
Would like also to visit Mt. Fuji but read from one of the forums that its only visible best in the winter, any suggestions as to what other places we can go to for day trips or when to visit what....

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • sandrafiza's Profile Photo

Re: First timer in Tokyo

by sandrafiza Online Now Apr 2, 2012 at 3:15 AM

I went to japan few times and we always stay at ikebukuro. Just to inform that there is a few big shopping mall around ikebukuro and if your daughter like manga and anime there a place near Sunshine city that she may want to see. BTW why don't you go to Kyoto.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • salisbury3933's Profile Photo

by salisbury3933 Online Now Apr 2, 2012 at 3:40 AM

Ikebukuro would be about my last choice of places to stay in Tokyo but each to their own I suppose.

Would suggest at least one daytrip out of Tokyo during that time. Nikko, Hakone, Kamakura are the main ones but far from the only options.

JR Kanto pass is really good value at 8000 yen for 3 days, could be worth buying depending on where you want to go.

jreast.co.jp/e/kantoareapass...

• dru46's Profile Photo

by dru46 Online Now Apr 2, 2012 at 8:45 AM

As mentioned, you are arriving at the height of the rainy season. Not the best time but if you like shopping, you'll be fine. Ikebukuro has some bad areas but most of the hotels I know of are located on the good side, the east side. The east side has a large Bic Camera, Yamada Denki (Labi), Don Quiote, Tokyu Hands, Toyota Amlux, and Sunshine City. It is true that just outside of Sunshine City, on the west side between Sunshine City and the overhead expressway is a small manga and anime street. It pales in comparison to Akihabara but there is enough there for a little look.

In terms of what you want to see, just some advice, try to keep things concentrated. One week is a short time and if you want to go back to some places, you'll need to plan a little. Just as a suggestion, try to keep these places grouped together into one day each.

Tsukiji fish market

Harajuku, Shibuya, Shinjuku
    Imperial Palace
    Tokyo Tower
    Sensoji park, Asakusa, Ueno Park, Akihabara

I assume you mean Sensoji Park that is at Asakusa? Pretty much the same place. When visiting Ueno, you can also go to Ameyokocho which is more of an Asian market area with lots of shoe shops and other sports shops. It is just fun to see. You can also add Akihabara to that part but might be pushing it for a day depending on what you end up doing.

Harajuku and Shibuya are close enough that you can see them together. Shinjuku is large enough that you might need a full day to see it, especially if you love shopping. If you like shopping, Shinjuku, Harajuku, and Shibuya will be dangerous. Ikebukuro, to a lesser extent, is also pretty good.

You can combine Tokyo Tower and the Imperial Palace but it involves hopping onto the train a couple times. Nothing too difficult and both should be done in the morning. I actually recommend going to the fish market around 8am, head to the Imperial Palace around 9 or 10, and then Ginza at 11. If you aren't interested in Ginza, head to Tokyo Tower and then do some shopping in the afternoon.

As for day trips, most of the day trips have been mentioned. Mt. Fuji will be hard to see unless you keep a hawk eye on the weather.

• SfumatoPants's Profile Photo

by SfumatoPants Online Now Apr 2, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Not knowing how old your child is, may I suggest:

Sanrio Puroland - Hello Kitty (Tama Center Station)

Odaiba - Joypolis

Tokyo Disneyland

• Dapj's Profile Photo

by Dapj Online Now Apr 16, 2012 at 11:13 PM

If you're traveling with your daughter there's lots of other things to do in Tokyo with kids and teens like: Studio Ghibli Museum of animation, Kiddy-Land toy store, Tokyo Disney, Sumo wrestling, Kabuki Theater.
    About Mt Fuji, I would recommend taking a day trip from Tokyo by Shinkansen train. Fuji is always well worth the visit. Better to take an organized tour, it will make it easier in terms of transportation in the area.
    tokyo-top-guide.com/Things_T...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines