Tokyo Travel Answers

change location
nikooru_who's Profile Photo

JR Rail Pass

by nikooru_who Online Now Jan 3, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Plan is staying in tokyo for 10days probs ueno or shinjuku and plan on using the yamonote train loop alot to visit most the places. But we also want to go to kyoto and studio Ghibi. Is it worth getting this JR Rail pass? is it going to save money? It's meant to be aaround £200 and have to pay before you get to japan. Thoughtss??

thanks

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: JR Rail Pass

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Jan 3, 2012 at 12:58 PM

The only way to figure out if a pass is going to save you money is to price out the point-to-point costs. The http://www.hyperdia.com/en/ website will help here.

My gut feeling is that you are not travelling enough long distance runs for it to pay for itself, and with a 10 day stay, you would have to pick either a 1 week and pay for the additional 3 days as point-to-point or go for 2 week pass and not use it for the full period it is valid for.. We did a lot more travelling than you are planning to and we were ahead by a bit for a 2-weel pass.

Also, make sure you book your Ghibli tour well ahead of time. These tours are booked up months ahead (something we found out the hard way).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • nikooru_who's Profile Photo

by nikooru_who Online Now Jan 3, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Thanks. My friend says a return to Kyoto costs £200 alone so maybe it makes sence to get a JR Rail pass as it can be used to kyoto, studio ghibli, and the yamonoto train line. :/

• Bilimari's Profile Photo

by Bilimari Online Now Jan 3, 2012 at 3:07 PM

I don't think you'll save with JR pass, but if you decide to purchase it, buy one week pass, try to coordinate the Kyoto trip and other long trips (outside Tokyo) you plan to make within 7 days, then exchange the voucher to rail pass when you make the first long trip.

• mim95's Profile Photo

by mim95 Online Now Jan 3, 2012 at 3:33 PM

As said before, you have to plan your itinerary well to take advantage of the JR Pass. If you are on a budget, there are cheaper buses that go to Kyoto from Tokyo. Do a search in this forum to find out the details. Within Tokyo, there are various subway (non-JR) lines to get you from point A to B. You can sometimes save money if you buy a day pass. Of course, you have to know where you are going and how much to get the full benefit of it.

• dru46's Profile Photo

by dru46 Online Now Jan 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Many here will say that it isn't worth it to buy a JR Pass, even a 7 day pass when visiting Kyoto. I did the research again and here's why:

Shinkansen ticket (round trip): 25420JPY (27440JPY for reserved seats)
    JR Pass: 28300

Factor in that if you use the JR Pass to get around Tokyo, you will save roughly 500 Yen a day, 700 if you get on and off a LOT. Kyoto won't be worthwhile to use a JR Pass as most transport is either subways or bus and the pass isn't valid there. If you plan it right, you could save money, but you could also lose money. Depends on how often you use it in Tokyo. I would prefer not to get it as I'd feel pressure to use it just to get my monies worth.

Just another FYI, a reserved ticket on the Shinkansen is not necessary when going to Kyoto from Tokyo. On the return, you may want to get it, but if you return on a weekday in the afternoon, you should be okay.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines