Tokyo Travel Answers

change location

Australian Credit Cards in Tokyo

by kristian1978 Online Now Mar 19, 2008 at 4:37 AM

Hi, just wondering, I have an Australian Commonwealth Bank Mastercard and was wondering if it will work in Tokyo? Also if they do work, is it just at certain places (banks-post offices) or every where.

Sorry, I know its probably been asked a million times.

Thank you.

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • albaaust's Profile Photo

Re: Australian Credit Cards in Tokyo

by albaaust Online Now Mar 19, 2008 at 5:01 AM

It needs to be linked to cirrus. Have a look on the back and check.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Australian Credit Cards in Tokyo

by kristian1978 Online Now Mar 19, 2008 at 5:15 AM

Drats, it dosn't have cirrus written anywhere on it, but it a very new card and it has the world hologram on the back of it, I guess I'm best to check with the bank ASAP.
    Thanks for the quick reply.

• ricky52's Profile Photo

by ricky52 Online Now Mar 19, 2008 at 5:28 AM

And 1 .Lol

• AusPinay's Profile Photo

by AusPinay Online Now Mar 19, 2008 at 6:06 AM

I bank with CBA and the cards with cirrus/maestro which you can use are ATM cards which should be linked to your savings/checking accounts.My cc is visa and it doesn't have those words. (Although, we sometimes used our visa in ATM in some countries,sometimes it worked,sometimes not.)

You can still use your credit card for paying at establishments but for getting cash we use our ordinary ATM cards also to save on charges as ours is linked with our home loan account.

Plus you can get yen from CBA, just dunno how much the exchange rate is these days. We are going in April also to Japan and I am going to wait at the last minute for the exchange rate or else I plan to take some Aussie money & exchange at the airport/money changers there.

I hope the above help in some way,LOL!

• dancinbudgie's Profile Photo

by dancinbudgie Online Now Mar 19, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Its a good idea to keep plenty of cash on you in Japan 'just in case'. We were there last April and there were times when we really struggled to use our credit or key cards for getting cash, and when we could, you could only take out small amounts. We didn't have any trouble paying by credit in most of the ryokan we stayed in though.

• dancinbudgie's Profile Photo

by dancinbudgie Online Now Mar 19, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Yes, some didn't take cards, but many did...we checked which ones we would need cash for before we left home and planned accordingly. Shikoku was all cash.

• Re: Australian Credit Cards in Tokyo

by kristian1978 Online Now Mar 20, 2008 at 7:52 AM

Thanks for all the great replys, I went to the bank and it turns out I can use my regular key card, think they would have told me that when I asked for a card I could use in Japan..

The master card is still a good back up for net transfering cash to my savings account just in case and I also plan on taking AU1000 converted to Yen with me to get started.

• Onedragon's Profile Photo

by Onedragon Online Now Mar 24, 2008 at 3:55 AM

Hi
    I always exchanged for Japanese currency when I have been there..
    Here is what I found on the internet..... Credit cards Virtually useless in Japan

Credit cards are rarely used in Japan; cash is still the most common form of payment. Luxury hotels and expensive restaurants & department stores are some of the few places that readily accept non-Japanese credit cards. ATMs accepting overseas credit cards are tough to find. Getting a cash advance on a credit card is usually a hassle. Contact your credit card company to find out more on using your card overseas.

• leanne_pearc's Profile Photo

by leanne_pearc Online Now Apr 1, 2008 at 1:27 AM

Strange that the commonwealth bank card didn't have a cirrus, cos mine does? and i used in Japan.

i took cash over. Luckily half way through the trip we found an atm at a 7-11. and that was the one and only time i used an atm. I didn't see many atm's. 7-11 stores have atms that use cirrus and other international cards.

Bascially if you see an atm, use it!

It is safe to carry cash around, no problems.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines