Tokyo Travel Answers

change location
monicarc's Profile Photo

All in one day?

by monicarc Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Is it possible to stroll about, pop into shops and just get a general feel for the following neighborhoods in one day: Ginza, shinjuku and harajuku?

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Re: All in one day?

by Ewingjr98 Online Now Feb 16, 2013 at 5:47 AM

Ginza, Shinjuku and Harajuku are all located close together and easily reached by Tokyo Metro. No problem visiting all three in one day. I think you could get a good feel for all three neighborhoods with a few hours in each. Shinjuku is a massive area, so make sure you do your research on the areas you want to visit before you arrive.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • dru46's Profile Photo

by dru46 Online Now Feb 16, 2013 at 6:00 AM

I disagree with Ewingjr that they are all close together. Harajuku and Shinjuku are next to each other. Shinjuku is a 20 minute train ride from Ginza.

Can you visit them in a single day? Yes. Should you? Probably not. Ginza, the high fashion and gallery capital of Tokyo, can be visited within an hour or so, if you are not very interested in the fashion. I know people who spend hours there, and others who took 15 minutes to just see things and leave. The Sony building can take an hour if you are really into electronics.

Shinjuku can take a full day on its own. I would probably see both Shinjuku and Harajuku in a day. There are a lot of small hidden streets that it can be difficult to get a real feel for the whole thing, even in just a day. It can be done though, but just plan on what you want to see.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

by Ewingjr98 Online Now Feb 16, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. If I was flying halfway around the world to visit Tokyo, I would consider two locations that are a mere 20 minutes apart by train or metro as very close together. I wouldn't walk between Shinjuku and Ginza, but the fact is, it is simple and fast to get between these neighborhoods using public transportation.

• salisbury3933's Profile Photo

by salisbury3933 Online Now Feb 16, 2013 at 7:03 PM

For me personally 1 day would be plenty for those areas, but it sort of depends what interests you. I'm not much of a shopper, whereas that may be what you are looking to do.

1 member found this helpful

• monicarc's Profile Photo

by monicarc Online Now Feb 16, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Hi y'all great advice!!!! We mainly just want to stroll about a bit in each area, so it's good to know this can be done in one day if needed ( we have 4 nights in Tokyo and two an hour or so away At my husband's company factory). We are from Texas so I have driven 4 hours in the morning to another city, went to court, then drive back home another 4 hours and that is nothing to us here, so 20 minutes or so on the subway is fine (I know it might actually take us longer with the language and trying to figure things out !)

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

by jlanza29 Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Monicarc ...... Tokyo is a stunning and fascinating city .... to spend just 1 day there is a bit of a crime itself .... but yes it can be done with good planning .... the transportation system is one of the best, clean and safest in the world ... do not be intimdated by the confusing maps .... one of my top cities to visit .... I can't get enough of it ..... Tokyo and Japan ROCKS !!!!!!

Happy travels ....

Be the first to rate this answer!

• monicarc's Profile Photo

by monicarc Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Hi Jlanza, no fears we will be in Japan/Tokyo 6 nights, but wanted to maybe do one day of checking out the shopping neighborhoods!

Be the first to rate this answer!

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

by jlanza29 Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Gotcha .... your gonna love Tokyo .... the energy it has is really so different to any other city in the world .... Let me know if u need any questions answered .... I'm nowhere near an expert on the city but have been there almost a dozen times now ..... and I can't get enough of it ...

Take care

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines