Tokyo Travel Answers

change location
CruisingGoddess's Profile Photo

Cherry blossom viewing in late April?

by CruisingGoddess Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I'm going to be in Tokyo from April 21-27. Will there still be any cherry blossom flowers on the trees at that time? If so, where do you recommend I can see them? Thanks in advance!

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • detroitdb's Profile Photo

Re: Cherry blossom viewing in late April?

by detroitdb Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I was in Tokyo and Kyoto in early April 2009 and Cherry Blossom's were in full bloom. Thousands of happy faces flock to Ueno Park for picnics during Sakura season; the Meguro River is another good spot, right in the city, to experience Cherry Blossoms. Both get quite packed.

From what I understand the best Cherry Blossom viewing in Tokyo takes place during late March and Early April.

All the best!

Meguro Off The Beaten Path Ueno Park, Tokyo

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SfumatoPants's Profile Photo

by SfumatoPants Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 6:27 PM

No, they will be gone, by a few weeks.

• Rabbityama's Profile Photo

by Rabbityama Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 8:09 PM

There won't be any left in Tokyo but if you want to see cherry blossoms, there are places where they will be in full bloom. You'll have to go north into the Tohoku region. According to some of this year's blossoms predictions and past year bloom dates, they'll be best during the time of your visit in Miyagi, Yamagata, Akita, and Iwate Prefectures.

• Bilimari's Profile Photo

by Bilimari Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 6:25 AM

Unfortunately, all the blossom will be gone by then. Are you spending a week before you get on a cruise? If so, and if you really want to see the Cherry blossom, you should have time to head north for a day or two.

• dru46's Profile Photo

by dru46 Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 9:18 PM

As mentioned, it is highly unlikely that the cherry blossoms will still be around then. They are predicting late March for the first bloom, so things will probably be gone by early April. Most likely by the first week of April. Unless there is some strange change in the weather and it remains cold for the next month, the blossoms won't be blooming.

As for where to see them, as mentioned, Tohoku is your best bet. I heard that the Tohoku Shinkansen is great to see the cherry blossoms. A friend of mind did that trip once and went from nothing to beautiful pink at her destination. Not sure exactly how much you can see from the Shinkansen though.

2 members found this helpful

• CruisingGoddess's Profile Photo

by CruisingGoddess Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Bilimari wrote: Unfortunately, all the blossom will be gone by then. Are you spending a week before you get on a cruise? If so, and if you really want to see the Cherry blossom, you should have time to head north for a day or two.
     Yes, I'll be arriving a week before my cruise but we plan to spend 2 nights at Disney and then 4 nights in Tokyo. I dont' think we'll spend time traveling to other areas of Japan during those days because I really want to get the most out of our trip to Tokyo so I will save the cherry blossoms for the next time we go to Japan. I will still need to return for Osaka and Kyoto too!

Be the first to rate this answer!

• SfumatoPants's Profile Photo

by SfumatoPants Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Temperatures are heading to 20 later this week, possibly indicating an early blossoming.

• cheesecake17's Profile Photo

by cheesecake17 Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 4:17 AM

you can check this webpage for inforamtion

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2011.html

by cheesecake17 Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 4:22 AM

..and here for any location in tokyo that "may" have ...They have come out early this year..Shizuoka prefecture (south of Tokyo)are starting to bloom last week...

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3050.html

• dru46's Profile Photo

by dru46 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I think "may" is a bit of an understatement. It might read, "You'll be lucky to see a couple blossoms left". Unfortunately, the cherry blossoms in Tokyo are at full bloom at this second and it is raining. They have peaked and will likely fall completely off in a week or two at the most. :(

by cheesecake17 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 8:29 PM

oops I realize she said 21..no way she will see anything:-)..they are 80% blooming here in shizuoka, with a little rain tomorrow and some nice weather for the rest of march begining of april..They will be at their best viewing late next week and then gone....

This year they are out to early....There is always next year....

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines