Tivoli Travel Answers

change location

Tivoli train station

by aunthoppy Online Now May 24, 2006 at 8:10 AM

We are considering making a trip to Hadrian's Villa on our last morning in Rome, before going on to Florence that evening. I am asking if anyone knows if the train station in Tivoli has lockers, where we could secure our backpacks, or should we lock them up at Termini and go back there on the way to Florence. Some rail routes have us changing trains back in Termini anyway.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Maurizioago's Profile Photo

RE: Tivoli train station

by Maurizioago Online Now May 24, 2006 at 9:16 AM

As far as I know there is not a train station in Tivoli. You can go there by bus.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

RE: Tivoli train station

by travelgourmet Online Now May 24, 2006 at 10:40 AM

I believe the only train to Tivoli is out of the Tiburtina Station not Termini. It is still a bus ride to Hadrian's Villa or a shuttle or long walk to the Villa d'Este which is also a must see in Tivoli with it's many fountains. As for lockers, keep your packpacks in Roma. Easier to get to Tivoli without having to lug anything along. It is only a short distance away from Roma.

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Tivoli train station

by mccalpin Online Now May 24, 2006 at 12:46 PM

To my surprise, the trenitalia website (in the Italian section, not in English) shows that there is Left Luggage service in the Tivoli station. Note that the Tivoli station is probably quite small and serves only commuters; I wouldn't be shocked if the service were inconveniently closed when you got there.

Hmmmn, the point that almost all trains from Tivoli go back to Tiburtina (not Termini) is true...I saw something like only 2 a day that go from Tivoli to Termini...

Hmmmn, you know, I am worried about this Left Luggage information, because the trenitalia website reports that neither Termini nor Tiburtina have Left Luggage services, and I know for a fact that Termini (at least) does (I have used it, and it's listed on the official website - www.romatermini.it ). I would be much more inclined to believe that Tiburtina has Left Luggage than Tivoli, which, as I noted, must be a very small station...hmmmn...

I just saw a Q&A on an Italian language website in which someone asked if Tiburtina has Left Luggage service, and there were two answers of "yes".

Personally, if I found such a service at Tiburtina, I'd leave the stuff there, since (1) I have doubts about such a service at Tivoli, and (2) I'd have to go back to Tiburtina anyway...

Bill

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now May 24, 2006 at 2:39 PM

A whole lotta Hummmmming , Bill. lol

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now May 24, 2006 at 3:44 PM

Hmmmmn, you think so? ;-)

I guess I could use a better copyeditor hahaha, oh, I mean "hmmmmn"

Bill

• RE: Tivoli train station

by Sammyfloyd Online Now May 24, 2006 at 7:40 PM

Tivoli does have a train station (as mentioned already), but it is not as close to Villa d'Este as taking the bus. The bus drops you off right next door to the entrance whereas if you take the train, you have to walk through the small winding streets of town for about 15 minutes (and we asked for directions multiple times).

For Hadrian's Villa (to be honest, I liked Villa d'Este much more because the fountains and gardens are spectacular, whereas Hadrian's is a bunch of rundown bricks and pillars), we then boarded the blue bus that actually heads back to Rome from Tivoli (very close to Villa d'Este) and rode for around 10 minutes. We then got off and had to walk almost 30 minutes to get there. There is another bus which drops you off much closer, within a 5 minute walk. These buses don't run very tight schedule so when you get to Tivoli, be sure to check the times first or you might be waiting at the bustop for half and hour.

When you leave Hardrian's Villa, walk through the exit and when you get back on the small road, you will see a small cafe right there. Buy the bus ticket to Rome from inside the cafe and it will take you back to where you caught the bus in the morning.

I don't know much about left luggage because I did not utilize it.

• RE: Tivoli train station

by aunthoppy Online Now May 25, 2006 at 8:45 AM

Thank you for the advice and info. I will go by the Tibertina station earlier in the Rome visit to be sure they have lockers.

And I will report back this summer to let you know what worked.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines