Tirau Travel Answers

change location
SemaM's Profile Photo

Tirau travellers

by SemaM Online Now Nov 3, 2012 at 5:42 PM

How many people travel through tirau every day, and how many people stop in tirau everyday?

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • stevemt's Profile Photo

Re: Tirau travellers

by stevemt Online Now Nov 3, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I would say many pass through and very very few stop

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • angiebabe's Profile Photo

by angiebabe Online Now Nov 3, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Hi yes quite a few would go that way coming down from Auckland through to the Coromandel, Tauranga and Matamata area - are you wondering with the view to hitching a ride?
    In case you are can I take the opportunity to say that for your safety I wouldnt recommend or encourage hitching anywhere in NZ or Australia as lovely as these countries and people in them are - interesting when I was in a spot of bother and having to contemplate hitching in Israel the Israeli border guard said to me I wouldnt hitch in your country so why would you even consider hitching in mine (with 2 hours of desert from where I was with her)

• Abbeythekat's Profile Photo

by Abbeythekat Online Now Nov 3, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I travel that way quite a bit for work.
    I only stop if there is parking on the side of the road next to the giant dog as there are toilets there and a great cafe across the road (AlleyCat).
    Its a busy little spot though and if I do have more time I like to visit the art galleries and second hand shops.
    Just as a note: I echo Angiebabes advice....do not hitchhike in NZ. Its not worth the risk.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Nov 3, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Every time I travel through Tirau I stop because it is such a unique town with its corrugated-iron art - but I would not pick up a hitchhiker, neither there nor anywhere else. A few hitchhikers have been murdered in NZ, so it is as risky as in most other countries in the world.

• SemaM's Profile Photo

by SemaM Online Now Nov 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Hi Thank you all for your feedback, guess I should have been more specific about why I asked my question. Im looking to buy a house in Tirau on the main road and to start up my businesses there. I have been to Tirau myself many times, both driven through and stopped to browse the antique shops and galleries. I've been trying to find some actual statistics online about the approximate numbers of people travelling through and stopping.

ps I never hitchhike, tooooo dangerous!

• Abbeythekat's Profile Photo

by Abbeythekat Online Now Nov 3, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Hi again

A good place to start would be the local information centre in Tirau. And also the local business association. They would have an idea in foot traffic.
    For taffic numbers, you could approach the Local NZTA office (based in Hamilton which covers Tirua and ask them for daily vehicle counts.) In addition you may find that the South Waikato District Council has some statistics for you. Im not sure if they have a business development department...but most councils have some sort of division that is there to help new businesses.
    Good luck with your business venutre...Im slighty jealous as that is a magic part of the country down there.

• SemaM's Profile Photo

by SemaM Online Now Nov 3, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Thank you so much :) Your answer has been very very helpful :) I currently run both of my businesses from Auckland but spotted a lovely property in Tirau and thought that would be a wonderful place to have a store from. Plus the primary school is just across the road and looks perfect for my daughter :)

• Re: Tirau travellers

by Kuskiwi Online Now Nov 4, 2012 at 11:01 AM

If I'm going that way it is my rest/coffee and look at the crafts stop. People will stop if the product you are selling is attractive and well publicised, but as with any retail as you obviously already know - they need a reason to stop.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

by angiebabe Online Now Nov 4, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Yes I was going to say also in my answer years back we had relatives we used to visit out in the country near Tirau - we grew up in the Waikato and many of my family are still around the area - its a lovely area and Tirau is very handy for access up to Auckland and then off south etc to other parts of the NOrth Island.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Nov 4, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I am sure many people who would never have thought to stop in Tirau actually stop in Tirau thanks to the corrugated-iron art - and then start browsing the shops. I have talked to several shop owners, and most are doing really well.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines