Tikal Travel Answers

change location
schmechi's Profile Photo

Comfortable way to go to Tikal from Mexico?

by schmechi Online Now Feb 26, 2008 at 1:50 PM

What is the most comfortable way to get to Tikal from Yuacatan peninsula (I suppose Campeche and/or Tulum will be the southernmost point I'd reach in Yucatan without this detour) Apart from the mentioned I'd be staying in Merida and Cancun the most time of my journey.... Is there any chance for a short trip to Tikal? How long would you estimate, that this trip takes?

btw: I suppose it is forbidden to cross the borders with hired cars, isn't it?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Chenbaaxal's Profile Photo

Re: Comfortable way to go to Tikal from Mexico?

by Chenbaaxal Online Now Feb 27, 2008 at 5:36 PM

Probably the most comfortable approach would be to take an overnight ADO bus from Cancun to Palenque, having arranged a shuttle/boat/shuttle trip to Flores, which would take much of the day. You also would have to arrive early enough to catch it. Then you would likely have time to get to Tikal that day by taxi.

If you got to Belize City, you could rent a car from a particular company to drive to Tikal and back without insurance. Each time you leave Belize you pay18.75 USD. If you got to Chetumal the night before, you instead could take a shuttle from there to Flores and another to Tikal.

Unless you are suffering from some degenerative disease that will never let you travel again, you might put off Tikal until you have time to concentrate on Guatemala or even just Peten.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RAZOR-REN's Profile Photo

Re: Comfortable way to go to Tikal from Mexico?

by RAZOR-REN Online Now Mar 2, 2008 at 2:02 AM

As far as I know I'm sure I read somewhere that were flights going to Flores (To goto Tikal) from Cancun, but I can't guarantee it though.

Another way was to travel by bus via Belize City

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines