Tijuana Travel Answers

change location

Under the arch

by judiedebary Online Now Dec 15, 2008 at 6:54 PM

My first visit to Tijuana, we were at a large brick fallen wall on the main street of Los Revolution, just under the new large arch of modern Tijuana. The old brick wall had many arches and would not have been made to stop people from crossing through. We would like to learn the history of this wall, and why there is a jail with a prisoner on top of the mound built in front.
Thanks, Judie

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • lmkluque's Profile Photo

Re: Under the arch

by lmkluque Online Now Dec 16, 2008 at 8:52 AM

The wall you are asking about is not a "ruins." It was built less than ten years ago to help spruce up that particular area. I think it is meant as a contrast to the "modern" image of the Arch. I don't know the specific meaning of the jail and prisoner, but Tijuana is known for it's jail, so that could be part of it.

In any case, at the time in history that this wall would represent, there were no serious border crossings to keep people in or out of either country.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mikarov99's Profile Photo

Re: Under the arch

by mikarov99 Online Now Dec 26, 2008 at 12:16 AM

Is not too old nothing of Tijuana is more olde than a centery ago but if you talk arches who are an square are quite modern, is part for give a better image of the revolution street.

And ¨jail with a prisoner on top of the mound built in front¨ i don´t know if you refer to WaxMuseum.

There is two Jails in Tijuana but none are in these area. And Jail in Tijuana is infamous because of the riots that happened in this year.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines