Tibet Travel Answers

change location

Tibet Closed to Tourists in 2013

by johnwa99 Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 7:39 AM

When is Tibet closed to tourists in 2013?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

Re: Tibet Closed to Tourists in 2013

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Tibet is impossible to predict. The Chinese government frequently closes the region off without ANY notice. Furthermore, they rarely give an 'opening' date when they do so.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

by blueskyjohn Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Currently, the report I was given is that Tibet is open to foreign tourist. I've also been told by a reliable agency I used in Tibet before that the minimum number of travelers is back to two. Still in place is that all traveling together must be of the same nationality.

Of course, this could all change tomorrow! I have a group planning on a late May arrival. I am proceeding with caution but travel agencies within China are providing quotes for travel there.

So keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best.

1 member found this helpful

• Re: Tibet Closed to Tourists in 2013

by mkduck Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Hi blueskyjohn,

I'm a US citizen traveling to China from mid-May to mid-June. I'd like to spend a week or so in Lhasa. It seems like Tibet is currently open? But most agencies are asking me to form a small group before going to them since not many people have reserved any tours to Tibet in May yet. Would you be able to recommend any travel agency that can find me a group of other US travelers? Thanks!

Be the first to rate this answer!

by blueskyjohn Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Hi mkduck and welcome to VT. I am also planning a trip leaving sometime the end of May to the first or second week in June. I am in contact with the agency I've used before.

Tashi is my contact. I am waiting for prices and he is taking a little longer than normal but I have spoken with him a few weeks ago.

Tibet Mountain and River International Travel Agency
    Tel : 86-891-6333819
    Fax : 86-891-6332974
    E-mail: mysterioustibet@yahoo.com.cn
    E-mail:tibet.mrtour@gmail.com

A possible reason why they are asking you to form a group is there may be a chance China will change the quota like last year and make it groups of 5 or more from the same country. Currently it is two.

You can email Tashi and ask if any other people are willing to add travelers to their group to cut cost. Not sure this will work in Tibet. Not because of the tourist but because of the government and what restriction they place on the tour guides.

When these agency ask you to form a small group, did they say how small? Were you asking for just yourself? If so, that also could be the reason. Right now two or more from the same country.

• Re: Tibet Closed to Tourists in 2013

by mkduck Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Thanks! This is really helpful. Are you aware if your group still has space for one more? I'm thinking about a week around end of May to first/ second week in June as well. So far I've contacted Candy from ATT (Access Tibet Tour). She quoted me $679 for a 7-day tour starting on June 1st (see below). This is my first time traveling alone. Does this look right? Have you heard of this agency before? Thanks, John!

Day 1:
    Arrive in Lhasa (alt. 3600m)
    Meals, Accommodation: 3 Star standard Hotel

Today's activities: Rest and take a peak of Lhasa by yourself
    Welcome to the "Roof of the World." On your arrival to Tibet, we will meet you at the airport or train station and transfer you to the hotel, after you check in, you could either rest a bit or see the city yourself, get the first impression of this ancient city!

Day 2:
    Tour of Lhasa
    Meals:B Accommodation: 3 Star standard Hotel

Today's activities: Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, Sera Monastery, Bachkor Street
    This morning you'll wind your way up through the stunning, awe-inspiring Potala Palace. Later after lunch, witness the famous debate sessions by the monks at Sera Monastery. And finish the day by taking a Kora around the Barkhor.

Day 3:
    Drive to Shigatse via Gyantse
    Meals:B Accommodation: Shigatse Monasarovar Hotel

Today's activities: Yamdrok Lake, Southern part of Tibet Plateau (6 hours of drive)
    In the morning you'll start the drive to Shigatse, via Gyantse on the Southern Friendship Highway. Crossing over the summit of Kamba La (4794 m), you'll see the tranquil turquoise waters of LakeYamdrok below; one of the three holiest lakes in Tibet. Far in the distance you'll spot the towering massif Mt. Nojin Kangtsang (7191 m), and the staggering Karo-la Glacier (5045 m). Afterwards, you'll drive to Shigatse, and overnight there.

Day 4:
    Tashilumpu Monastery & Drive to Shegar
    Meals:B Accommodation: Budget guesthouse

Today's activities: Tashilumpo Monastery, drive from Shigatse to Shegar (4 hours of drive)

Visit Tashilumpu Monastery. Then be driven to Shegar city, rest and prepared for Everest!
    Tips: More time to explore: the local free market- the largest souvenir market in Shigatse, could be a pretty good choice.

Day 5:
    Shegar – Rongbuk Monastery – Mt. Everest Base Camp
    Meals:B Accommodation: Tent

Today's activities: Everest Base Camp (4 hours of drive)
    Depart from Shegar in the early morning, and drive straight to Rongbuk Monastery (optional), the highest monastery in the world, then drive the remaining 8 km to visit Everest Base Camp. This afternoon you will have the intoxicating view of Mt. Everest. Overnight in local guesthouse or tent.
    Day 6:
    Mt. Everest Base Camp & back to Shigatse
    Meals:B
    Accommodation: Shigatse Monasarovar Hotel

Today's activities: Everest Sunrise and last peak at Everest ( 8 hours of drive)
    Wake this morning below the stunning north face of Mt. Everest (8848 m), the tallest mountain on earth. After breakfast, drive back to Shigatse, and be wrapped again in the endless vistas of the Tibetan plateau.

Day 7:
    Back to Lhasa
    Meals:B Accommodation: 3 Star standard Hotel

Today’s activities: Different route to Lhasa city, Free time in Lhasa ( 5 hours of drive)

You’ll drive back to Lhasa, but don’t worry, you’ll take a slightly different route this morning back to Lhasa. After you arrive at Lhasa, you would have plenty of time to explore what you have missed last time.
    Tips: You could depart today by flights from Shigatse to Chengdu( depart in the morning around 10:00 AM) or you could take the flight from Lhasa to elsewhere after 15:00 PM.

Day 8:
    Lhasa & Return Home
    Meals:- Accommodation:

Free time in the morning for you to wander around Lhasa. Take a last, memorable look at the Potala Palace before being transported to the airport at 12:00 p.m.

by blueskyjohn Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I have not heard of the agency. That is a lot for 87 days. Keep in mind you will be going all the way out to Everest and may not see it due to cloud cover. I've always put this purt off to a time I can spend more than a few days in that area. With your short time frame, you may want to stick with Lhasa and Shigatse. The only other thing is that day 2. Again alot. You can spend more than half a day just checking out the vendor at Barkhor Square.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Tibet Travel Answer Locations