Tiberias Travel Answers

change location

Driving from tel aviv to tiberias

by adedigba Online Now Jun 25, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Hi everyone how is driving from tel aviv airport on sunday evening in july,to tiberias,my first times to visit Isreal Im visiting from USA, what is the percentage charged on exchange of money, may be I should send my money via moneygram.

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • Gili_S's Profile Photo

Re: Driving from tel aviv to tiberias

by Gili_S Online Now Jun 26, 2009 at 1:00 AM

Driving Sunday night is as good as on Monday. Changing money is easy in the airport or any bank. You can also withdraw money from most ATM's with visa/mc.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Driving from tel aviv to tiberias

by rdglady Online Now Jun 26, 2009 at 2:50 AM

While the drive is fine you should reconsider what you are proposing to do. You are planning an 80 plus mile journey at night, on unfamiliar dark roads ( not all major highways) after a 10 hour flight. I know when I arrive in Israel after that flight I am totally exhausted. I use a cab to go to Netanya, rather than rent a car since I have dozed at the wheel when I used to to drive. Please consider either a cab or spending your first night local to the airport.

• unaS's Profile Photo

by unaS Online Now Jun 26, 2009 at 5:16 AM

I only want to add that the money exchange shops in the streets of the big cities are much better than the banks. They give a better exchange rate and don't add service charges. You can easily change with them. Try 2 or 3 different shops and see which one gives you the best rate.

Agree that if you have just flown in it would probably be better to spend the first night in Tel Aviv and drive on to Tiberius on Monday. Not too early so that you don't get caught in the morning rush hour in Tel Aviv - or alternately, very early indeed - about 6 am to get out of town before it begins.

• NYTim's Profile Photo

by NYTim Online Now Jun 26, 2009 at 7:47 AM

I live in the USA and I arrived I would only drive it it was in the daylight hours. What time does your flight arrive at.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

by Gili_S Online Now Jun 27, 2009 at 12:37 AM

Actually I remember few times flying from the US that because of the Jetlag I was not sleeping before 3 or 4 AM. So it is really depends on the individual, the flight schedule etc.

by rdglady Online Now Jun 27, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Not sleeping due to jetlag doesn't mean you are not exhausted. Please, sleep deprivation is a HUGE cause of accidents in the US and Israel. ( I don't have time to locate the articles BUT they do exist) Please don't contribute and add visits to a hospital to your vacation.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

by Gili_S Online Now Jun 28, 2009 at 2:26 AM

I find it useless to compare Israel and US on such issue. Israel is just about the size of New Hampshire, if you do not drive far south to Eilat the other roads are relatively short.
    If you actually talk about statistics I was curious to search and found out the main reasons for car accidents in Israel are driver errors, careless, reckless & excessive speed and being very impatient. In US the excessive speed as well but also not keeping your line (on long drives obviously) and dui which is still not so common in Israel thankfully.
    But as said, you are a right, a tired driver shouldn't step to the wheel at all, so it is all about the individual status of a driver on the day, who knows, maybe our friend flying first class and has 8 hours sleep on the flight.

• unaS's Profile Photo

by unaS Online Now Jun 28, 2009 at 6:15 AM

One doesn't need to compare. Sleep deprivation can well cause driver errors, careless, reckless & excessive speed and being very impatient, as well as dozing off behind the wheel.

If tired or over-stimulated due to jet lag one should not drive.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

by Gili_S Online Now Jun 28, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Yes, but it is not you or us to decide if one is tired or not, there is no law against driving tired but there are laws against over speeding, dui etc. Also such distance for some in small countries is long journey where for others it might just be a daily drive. So it is for the driver to decide.

• unaS's Profile Photo

by unaS Online Now Jun 28, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Of course it is the driver that will decide, but considering that the driver posted a question about it, then presumably that person is open to suggestions.

by chipsbc Online Now Jun 30, 2009 at 9:47 AM

From a non Israeli perspective, I would not want to drive to Tiberias at night if you are not familiar with the roads. The advantage is that the traffic is much lighter but I still have to think about the route going through Afula. Also Tiberias has a pretty complex street system, although you can't get very lost. There has also been a lot of construction at night for the last few weeks.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines