Three Jolly Pigeons Travel Answers

change location

Help with the Three Jolly Pigeons

by BobConlon Online Now Jan 4, 2007 at 12:54 PM

I hear about this Pub from my father all the time. I read a recent message stating they were related to the owners. I father's first cousin, William Conlon who wife's sister was either the owner or family of the owner. Their name was Cormack, Cormick, or McCormick. Any help would be appreciated.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • WhispersWest's Profile Photo

RE: Help with the Three Jolly Pigeons

by WhispersWest Online Now Jan 4, 2007 at 2:52 PM

Dia Duit,

I found this in a thesis paper from the Auburn University:

"About halfway between Dublin and Galway is a small village named Athlone, and just north of Athlone is a place on some maps called Auburn Crossroads, which is located in Goldsmith County, where Oliver Goldsmith grew up," Lundell said.

Once he got to Ireland, he found a pub called "The Three Jolly Pigeons," a name taken from one of Goldsmith's plays, "She Stoops to Conquer." The pub is the center for all Goldsmith activities, and for the past 13 years, a Goldsmith Summer School has been held to "develop a deeper insight into the writings of Oliver Goldsmith and to promote Goldsmith Country as a major tourist attraction," according to a brochure about the school.

The three-day school features lectures, poetry reading, tours and workshops for writers.

Seamus McCormack, owner of the pub and chairman of the organizing committee of the school, is a Goldsmith scholar and lecturer, Lundell said.

I don't know if that helps or not. AS well, I have contact information should you wish to send them a note of inquiry:

Three Pigeons Pub
    Goldsmith Country
    Athlone
    County Westmeath

Telephone +353 (0)90 6485162

Good Luck!

Slan Agus Beannacht,

Bit Devine
    Cowboy Craic

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Help with the Three Jolly Pigeons

by EimearMC Online Now Feb 17, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Eh, hi^^ I'm Eimear Mc Cormack. I'm Seamus' daughter and I live in The Three Jolly Pigeons. My dad might be able to answer your question^^ There's a lot of people who turn out to be relatives.

by kfpm Online Now Jun 25, 2008 at 9:41 AM

I was in the Pigeons, as my dad called it , in 1967. I was 10 years old.We were over from London,visiting my granny and uncle.My dad, Frank McCormack,told me the
    owner was a cousin of his. It was a Sunday and the bar was busy, though it must have being serving outside of licensing hours, because when the sargeant knocked on the door,the crowd made their exit through the bar and out the back door.Un -
    fortunatly,for me, I was sitting up at the bar, with my red lemonade,right next to the counter flap. On entering, the sight of a 10 year old boy, with guinness drip-
    ping off him,was the first thing to greet the sargeant.Himself and my dad had a few pints, while I dried off by the fire.
    Good luck with your search.
    Kevin

by alke Online Now Jan 7, 2009 at 7:32 AM

I know that there is an island in lough ree, just near glasson that had people living on it and the last remaining people on the island were the McCormick's.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Three Jolly Pigeons