Thessaloniki Travel Answers

change location

Day tour from Thessaloniki

by sangshan Online Now Oct 8, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Hi,
I'm coming to Thessaloniki from 5'th November to 8'Th November 2013. My husband is attending a conference there. Please suggest me places worth visit. I also want to know whether there are any conducted tours for nearby places,as I'll be travelling alone.
Thanks

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • StefanosS's Profile Photo

No Answer Title

by StefanosS Online Now Oct 8, 2013 at 10:16 AM

About conducted tours I suggest as first step to get the special sightseeing bus, about which you can read here:
    thessaloniki-sightseeing.com...
    This is the best introduction, so that you can easily deside about your next steps.

I suggest also to check the following webpage:
    helexpo.gr/womex/web/tp/Thes...
    This page was made for the visitors of the International Trade Fair of Thessaloniki, which takes place every September (just three weeks ago) and has a good list of proposed tours. Among them I would say "don't miss" the

Full Day Vergina – Pella – Edessa Tour,

this is a really wonderful experience, even if you are not a fan of archaeology.

If I know a little more about your likes and dislikes, I can give you some more suggestions.

Enjoy Thessaloniki!
    Stefanos

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Day tour from Thessaloniki

by PikosApikos Online Now Oct 8, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Thessaloniki's most interesting sites date back to its byzantine and roman period. I would suggest St Demetrius with its christian catacombs, Acheiropoietos, the 4th century Rotunda with the only remaining minaret in Thessaloniki and Arch of Galerius (commonly known as Kamara). From there you can walk down Dim.Gournari pedestrian street to have a look at the uncovered palace of Galerius and finish your tour at the White Tower landamrk at the seaside. It is all in walking distance from each other, right at the center of the city and the entire tour shouldn't take more than a morning.

Museum-wise a must visit is the Byzantine museum. Apart from that the archaeological museum has a great ancient Macedonian collection.

BTW, during the time of your stay, the 54th Thessaloniki International Film Festival will be taking place. Even if you are not a fan of independent movies, the places around the Aristotelous square and the harbour will be crawling with young people. You can just have a coffee or walk around to get a taste of the ambience. Depending on the weather, a walk at the esplanade on Thessaloniki sea front can be magnificent.

Enjoy your stay!

1 member found this helpful

• starstudio's Profile Photo

Re: Day tour from Thessaloniki

by starstudio Online Now Oct 9, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Try the Boat trip around the gulf.
    Right in front of the White Tower, you will find a few boats converted into pubs. They take you a 30min trip around the bay while you enjoy your coffee and light snacks. Of course you can sit on board as long as you wish. There is a reggae boat, a rock boat, a mainstream boat..something for every taste.

for more ideas
    http://www.thessaloniki.travel/index.php/en/city-tours

Be the first to rate this answer!

• bakalapoe's Profile Photo

Re: Day tour from Thessaloniki

by bakalapoe Online Now Oct 12, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Feel the pleasure to discover by yourself the beauty of the city and the area around. Hopefully, my suggestions of my Thessaloniki travel page will help you! Have fun!

• Re: Day tour from Thessaloniki

by sangshan Online Now Oct 13, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Thank you all for your helpful answers

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Thessaloniki