The Hague Travel Answers

change location

Train ticket from Eindhoven to Den Haag

by RVieira Online Now Dec 28, 2010 at 4:22 AM

Hello.
I'm planning to go from the Eindhoven Centraal to the Den Haag Centraal on a sunday (6th February). I was searching for the train ticket price and I found a site that said a discount fare ticket was 28€. Is that true? Is there a cheapest way to go from Eindhoven to Den Haag? I think 28€ is just to much.

Thank you :)

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • Re: Train ticket from Eindhoven to Den Haag

by K_V_B Online Now Dec 28, 2010 at 4:28 AM

What site did you look on? The Dutch railways do not have such a thing as a "discount fare".

According to www.ns.nl (the railway's website) the price of a single ticket from Eindhoven to Den Haag is 18,40 euro. You can get it cheaper if you have a "voordeeluren kaart" and travel outside of the peak hours. But I asume you don't have such a card.
    This ticket you just buy from a ticket machine at the station before boarding the train.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Re: Train ticket from Eindhoven to Den Haag

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Dec 28, 2010 at 4:33 AM

According to the Dutch Railways website www.ns.nl a single fare ticket second class is € 18,00 (from a ticket machine).

PJ

• vtveen's Profile Photo

by vtveen Online Now Dec 28, 2010 at 5:05 AM

For a discounted fare you do need a so called "Voordeelurenkkaart"(Off peak discount pass):
    ns.nl/cs/Satellite/traveller...

• GyuriFT's Profile Photo

by GyuriFT Online Now Dec 28, 2010 at 5:11 AM

The 18.40 Euro is the regular domestic price. If you happen to have other international tickets and you have RAIL+ card than the discounted international ticket price is better (15.30 Euro). Otherwise a ticket bought abroad is 20.40 Euro (i.e. slightly more than the domestic).

The 28 Euro price is non-existent except if someone wants to sell you a ticket with a commission.

by K_V_B Online Now Dec 28, 2010 at 7:15 AM

@GyuriFT: My understanding was that Railplus reduction was only given on true international tickets, ie. tickets that cross a border (or from border points), but not on domestic tickets, even if they are calculated with the TCV tariff.

by RVieira Online Now Dec 28, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Thank you very much, that was such a big help!
    By the way, can you tell me the price of a train ticket from Den Haag Centraal to Amsterdam Centraal?

• vtveen's Profile Photo

by vtveen Online Now Dec 28, 2010 at 9:57 AM

One way full fare: € 10,10

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Dec 28, 2010 at 10:01 AM

According to the Dutch Railways website www.ns.nl a single fare ticket second class from Den Haag Centraal to Amsterdam Centraal is € 10,20 (from a ticket machine).

PJ

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Dec 28, 2010 at 11:22 AM

The best way to find accurate fares is to look at the official railway website for any particular European country. All have English pages.

In this case you should be looking at:

ns.nl/reisplanner-v2/index.s... (the English version of the site mentioned above).

where you will also find fares (none of which are anywhere near 28 euro...have you been using another site such as Raileurope, perhaps?)

• GyuriFT's Profile Photo

by GyuriFT Online Now Dec 28, 2010 at 4:54 PM

K_V_B: This is halfways correct, the RAIL+ discount does apply if you buy the tickets as the "whole". For instance, I can get 25% off with RAIL+ on Italian SCIC-NRT going from Venice to Palermo (does it makes sense or not), while arriving to Venice on EN-240 which requires a "global fare" ticket.

But stand-alone domestic RAIL+ is a different issue. Much depends on the issuing railways tough, once you have the ticket and the RAIL+ the conductor approves is. I know people who are over 26 and were given RAIL+ discount in France, even if officially that is not in the rules.

I would say, not just the RAIL+ cards are much cheaper (25 Euro) here, but the policy is more liberal, too.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines