Thailand Travel Answers

change location
nathanronen's Profile Photo

21-day Itinerary -- Is this too busy or looks good?

by nathanronen Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Hi Expert Thailand VTers -- Am I MISSING anything??? Any omissions, deletions or add-ons for December 2013

Dec 3 1:20 AM Arrive in BKK transfer to hotel
Dec 3 Drive to Flower market.
Then visit the Grand Palace and Emerald Buddha Temple – Wat
Phra Kaeo. Visit the Amarin Tharawinitchai Throne Hall –
Visit Reclining Buddha temple (Wat Pho),
In the afternoon, take a long-tailed boat ride along the Chao Phraya River
Disembark at Wat Arun

Dec 4 Floating Market at Damnoen Saduak in Ratchaburi
Province. Also board a canal boat and view native life along the canal banks.

Dec 5 Travel to Ayutthaya. Visit the ruins, temples
and the Royal Palace. Then arrive at Bang Pa -In, the Summer
Palace. Then travel to Ayutthaya to visit Wat Sri
Sanphet Viharn Phra Mongkolbophit and Wat Chai Wattanaram.
Then board the Grand Pearl cruise down the
Chao Phraya River towards Bangkok. Disembark at River City pier at 4:00 pm.
Back to Bangkok and see Siam niramirt cultural show with Gold Seat.

Dec 6 --Fly to Sukothai
Visit the Sukhothai Historical Park,
Do a bicycle trip and taking photos.

Dec 7-- Drive to Chiang Mai
Upon arrival at Chiang mai make a drive through different parts of the city, Drive up Doi
(Mount) Suthep to visit Wat Phrathad Doi Suthep. Then visit Doi Phu Ping palace before
going to hotel.

Dec 8 -- Chiang Mai City Tour
Early morning Tak bat.
later drive to visit Wat Suan Dok
Then take a bicycle ride along the Ping River
Stop to visit temples, markets, traditional northern Thai houses and a local Thai school. Then
ride to ruins of Viang Khum Kam, Because of my Mom make the bicycle trip leisurely with many stops.

Dec 9 -- Cooking Class Half day

Dec 10 Doi Inthanon include
• Wat Prahtat Sri Chom Thong
• Visit Wachiratharn Waterfall
• Visit Siritharn Waterfall
• Visit The Royal Project research station
• Visit the Chedi's of the King & Queen.
• Visit the highest mountain
• Angkha Nature Trail
• Hill tribe market

Dec 11-- Chiang Mai to Pai

Go to Mae Hong Son by countryside road. Stops on the way, such as Mok Fha Waterfall, Pong Dued hot spring.
Visit the Orchid Nursery and Muakfah waterfall.
Visit Wat Nam Hoo,
Arrive at Pai Town and walk around Pai night market.

Dec 12 -- Pai -- Lod Cave -- Fish Cave-- Mae Hong Son -- Boat trip to Long Neck Keren Village

Dec 13-- Start Mae Hon Son city tour to visit Wat Doi Klong Moo. Have a panoramic view of Mae Hong Son
Continue to Wat Jong Klang and Wat Jong Kum,
Fly to Chiang mai connect flight to Phuket.

Dec 14 -- Phuket City Tour
Morning Phuket, Sightseeing Tour in and around Phuket Town.
Then go to Khao Rung Hill to catch a view at the hill top.
Visit to Wat Chalong -
Visit Seashell Museum,
Go to Phuket's hill top overlooking Phromthep Cape.

Dec 15 -- Kho Hong Starlight -- Full Day Boat cruise visiting a variety of caves (do you recommend this???)

Dec 16-- Free day at Phuket -- visit another island nearby (?)

Dec 17 Transfer to Krabi by car for 3 hours (?) and then transfer by boat to Raillay Beach

Dec 18 -- 4 islands in Krabi
Swim in the sandbanks (Unseen in Krabi).
- Chicken Island:
- Poda Island:
- Phra Nang Cave:
Return by speed boat to Ao Nang and transfer us back to the hotel.

Dec 19-- Free day Krabi
Dec 20 -- Fly Karbi to Bangkok
Dec 21 -- River Kwai
Dec 22 -- Thai Boxning match (good one)
Dec 23 -- Depart home

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • vtveen's Profile Photo

Re: 21-day Itinerary -- Is this too busy or looks good?

by vtveen Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 8:05 AM

For Chiang Mai you could add a visit tot the hot springs of Sankampaeng, where local people are boiling eggs in hot water.
    (flickr.com/photos/vtveen/140...
    flickr.com/photos/vtveen/140...

happy travels
    Jaap

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SirHalberd's Profile Photo

by SirHalberd Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 6:35 PM

"Am I MISSING anything???"

Looks like you have everything except the kitchen sink!

"Drive to Flower market.""
    "later drive to visit Wat Suan Dok.."

Are you driving yourself or hiring a driver? Make sure you have an International Drivers License if you are doing the driving. If you have never driven in Asia before you are in for quite a challenge and also while driving on the other side of the road too! Foreigners involved in driving accidents can pay through the nose even for minor damage.

I think you are trying to do too much in the time you are in Thailand. But if you don't mind being on the go almost continuously - it's your life. So many tourists show up "playing it by ear" with only a rough idea of seeing Bangkok, a beach area and a few days in the Chiang Mai area then back to Bangkok for a night or 2 before flying home. You have just about every hour planned for.

Maybe loosen up a little and allow for some spontaneity and flexibility during your holiday. Who knows you may meet someone you want to hang around with and your carefully designed plans go flying out the window.

December will be the most expensive time of the year to visit Thailand and with the most tourists around too! Double check the some of the time required for the distances you are traveling.

Do you have any regular questions for visas, safety, handling money or hotel help?

Good luck.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 7:16 AM

looks like you cover more than I have cover in the 20 plus years I have been going to Thailand. I can clearly say that I have done all that and seen all that, but you are doing it in a months time that is doable, but why rush it?
    You will find that taxi or public transport is a easy way to get around Bangkok. If you can get rid of the traffic jams, it would make your trip a delight. Buying a travel guide book can help you save a lot of time and money. Doing a walking tour on most activites in Bangkok is the best and I feel the easyist cause the river leads to the flower market, to the Palace, temples and Khao San road When ever tired or just lost, have a card with directions to your hotel and just hop a meter taxi home.I see that your mom is along for the adventure, and in that case, sometimes it is just better to get a guided city tour of Bangkok so that it would not tired your mom out. I took my mom there years ago and had to taxi her even a few blocks. the heat got to her. But away, your IT looks good. In Phuket I would skip the tour of Phuket town and just enjoy the beaches and Kata beach as well as the Cape., you'll enjoy Kraibi. Good luck and read other VT pages about Thailand.
    cheers tommy x

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 7:20 AM

the long tail boat ride is a rip off when you can catch the public transport for 20 bahts up and down the river.\

cheers tommy x

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I've been thinking about your Phuket City Tour and Dec 14 as it is written. Phuket town
    is rather dull with the only thing I go to there was the bus station and a Chinese restaurant
    I use to favor for Dim Sum call Royal, there really is not much of a tour there. What I think
    you should do instead is rent a car 25usd a day and just drive from the Promthep Cape and
    up the coastal water side to Bang Tao Beach. Enjoy the views and vista along the way and maybe plan a piknic lunch at the beach. You can not get lost as there is only one main
    road (4233) along the beach side. You can get a map when you arrive at the airport,
    and rent a car at your hotel I start at the Cape, go north to (view point), another vista
    like the Cape. Go to Karon Beach, my favorite, but you can not really swim there,
    but it has white clean sand and your feet will squeak when you walk on it.Before
    you get to Karon Beach, there is a hotel call Marina Cottage on the left side as you are
    about to drive into Karon Beach. There is a restaurant /bar hidden in the cliff side
    for a good stop over for a snack and drinks. they have a parking lot too and you have
    to walk the hotel grounds and cross a wooden bridge to get to the restaurant cave,
    cliff that over looks the beaches. It's a great place to watch the sunset too. Not to many
    people know of this place and was a highlight of mines. After wards just follow the road
    north and stop by Patong Beach if you like, but i would just move on up the coast
    where there is less tourist and better things to see. Riding up the coast I know of a hide away beach that you have to walk 200 meters down to. I believe it is Surin Beach, but when you drive the coastal (4233) and going up through the mountain, along the way you will see many cars and motorscooters parked on the road side, that looks like a Vista, but what it is is the entrance way to walk down to the beach and it is steep. anyway, it is a hidden gem and one of the beaches I go to. Up further north to Bang Tao Beach I think is the best where the water is clean as well as the beaches. The natives are more friendly and they recover well since the Tsunami. At night when you return to Patong area and refreshen for dinner, I reccomend the Savoy seafood restaurant on beach road. Pick your fish and crabs, the style you want them to cook it and take a seat in the indoor aircondition room or the out doors table. They have a small parking lot also, if going north on 4233, the parking lot and restaurant is on the right. You will see many people taking pictures of the fish, there is a huge Neon Sign SAVOY that flashes in your face and the area intersects with the two main roads, Bangla and Beach road. Can not miss it!

Well that was Dec 14th in Phukett. On the 15th I skip the boat ride as there will be plenty getting into Krabi and you will see the same sights if you arrange your tour to go to Phi Phi island
    and from there to Krabi which is along the way. So Dec 14, and 15th in Phukett and Dec 16th
    arrange a tour to go to Phi Phi island, spend a night there and take the ferry on to Krabi is
    my suggestion. Like killing two birds with one stone and you get to see alot of stuff along
    the way. When in Phukett, look around for a good tour agency that you can book your
    car, hotel and transport to Phi Phi island. I use Crystal tours myself which is behind the Burger King on Patong beach on Soi Kapsap road
    and they did a door to door service with pick up
    at my hotel to Phi Phi island and back. In your case, you move on from there.
    Quite inexpensive for the full service, about 50 usd per person, with the mini van
    pick up to the boats to Phi Phi island. This price also includes your hotel stay
    on the island, from there, book a boat ride to Krabi on your own. be sure to check
    the time tables when you get there.On the Dec 17, catch the boat to Krabi. Taking these
    boat rides are a half day affair and can be tiring.

good luck and cheers tommy x

• SirHalberd's Profile Photo

by SirHalberd Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 4:11 AM

"The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men, gang aft agley."
    (Robert Burns.)

Many tourists also have a nice time doing less running around and more relaxing! Be prepared for delays beyond your control here and there during your holiday. Bus breakdowns, delayed flights or cancelled flights, bad weather, overbooking, etc. Have something to read during your time waiting in bus stations, train stations and airports.

Good luck.

• limkahwan's Profile Photo

by limkahwan Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 4:32 AM

Whao! Bravo....I think this is a very very detail itinerary and complete. If everything is going on schedule then definitely I say a master copy.
    If you like to know more you can visit my page.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Thailand Travel Answer Locations