Thailand Travel Answers

change location
nathanronen's Profile Photo

Thailand Itinerary for 21 days -- Need your help

by nathanronen Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Hi,
I am planning a trip for tow to Thailamd in December 2013 and would like your opinion on this itinerary. Any suggestions good or bad are welcome.

Day 1 Arrive Bangkok airport.
Day 2: Full day Bangkok:
Evening see a professional Thai boxing match.
Day 3: Full day Ayutthaya:
In the evening attend the Siam-Niramit show (gold seating???)
Day 4: Bangkok - Kanchanaburi
Day 5: Kanchanaburi – Amphawa
Day 6: Amphawa – Floating Market - Huahin Visit Mae Klong Market. Then continue to Hua Hin.
DAY 7: HUA HIN: KHOA SAM ROI YOD NATIONAL PARK TOUR --Go to the fishing village Ban Bang Po and cruise along a canal out to the sea. At Laem Sala beach climb up the mountain to Phraya Nakorn Cave. Night time excursion to Hua-Hin town.
DAY 8: HUA HIN – Bangkok – Chiangmai: Fly to Chiang Mai.
Day 9: Doi Suthep temple & Meo hill tribe village. Khantoke Dinner.
Day 10: Excursion to Doi Inthanon + Vachirathan Waterfall
Day 11: Chiang Mai - Pai -- Baan Hong Nual Cookery School-- cooking class/course
Continue on to Pai, make a stop at a Hot -spring.
Day 12: Pai – Mae Hong Son
Day 13: Mae Hong Son – Chiang Mai -- Boat trip along the Pai river to visit the long -neck hill-tribe village (Padong). Back to Chiang Mai.
Day 14: Chiang Mai – Chiang Rai
Day 15: Chiang Rai – Chiangsaen – Golden Triangle – Chiang Mai --Stop at a Yao hill -tribe village and an Akha hill-tribe village. Drive back to Chiang Mai.
Day 16 Chiang Mai – Phuket or Koh Samui
Day 17-20 -- Beach Koh Samui OR Phuket/Phang Nga Bay Cruise and something else
Day 21...Fly back to Bangkok to catch flight to NYC

Thank you.

Nathan

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • SirHalberd's Profile Photo

Re: Thailand Itinerary for 21 days -- Need your help

by SirHalberd Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 3:42 AM

Maybe a little too detailed. Maybe loosen up a little and play some things by ear - you know be a little more flexible! You have 11 months anyway. Who knows you may fall in love with some Thai person in the first couple days and throw your detailed itinerary off.

Try to get your body clock on Thai time right away. Even if you arrive around midnight try to get up by 8 a.m. and get started. You adjust to time changes better this way. (My opinion anyway.)

December will be crowded and more expensive than other months. When it is cold in New York it is high season in Thailand. Some of the things on your list you can do with a day tour. You can sign on to tours through local travel agencies in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and other major cities.

Yeah, book your round trip plane tickets to and from Bangkok when you think you have a good price. (Keeping in mind that December, especially close to Christmas is just about the most expensive time period of the entire year!) But for some other transportation maybe book in Thailand. Bangkok has 2 airports which are not real close to each other. Don Muang also has flights to other cities in Thailand.

Maybe it might be better to NOT fly back into Bangkok at the last minute for your ride home. That flight home is not the one flight you want to miss! My advice is to spend the last night or even two in Bangkok. Do some shopping, check out the nightlife, take some tours and even just walk around the city. Being in Bangkok you are only a cheap taxi ride back to Suvarnabhumi Airport. (All taxis are cheap in Bangkok compared to NYC providing you use the meter only!)

If you do return to Bangkok for a night or two the first hotel you stay at may store some of your winter stuff for you for free. Many hotels do this knowing that you will come back to claim your stuff and usually book another night. Meter taxis run all night long in Bangkok - if you have an early morning departure no problem getting a taxi to the airport. Even the first night get a hotel in the city and not near the airport, even if you arrive late, is my advice. Maybe a 10 or 15 minutes difference in time for a hotel near the airport and one in the city. But in the city you can walk out your door to restaurants, malls, vendors, supermarkets, even nightlife sometimes, also travel agencies for tours.

Bangkok has excellent city rail service! Many hotels are not far one of the Skytrain, Airport Rail Link and Subway stops.

urbanrail.net/as/bang/bangko...

For hotel help on your holiday include a price range for your room. Dollar or baht amount will do. Remember to notify your banks that you will be overseas if you intend to use debit or credit cards.

Plenty of time to decide what to do. (Keep in mind that millions of tourists do visit during the off season too. Also ALL of Thailand has summer time type weather not just beach areas.)

Good luck.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • expatbangkok's Profile Photo

by expatbangkok Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 5:19 AM

It took me 18 years to see that much of Thailand

• martensd's Profile Photo

by martensd Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 3:45 PM

HAHAHA...I love expats! They really tell it like it is.
    It took me six trips just to get out of Bangkok and go down to Pattaya.
    "Too much equals too little".
    Cut it in half and you might make it, cut it into a third you might enjoy your trip.
    Deciding what to do and what not will be the problem.
    Just my opinion, I have taken too many "see and do everything" trips and found I do not remember them.

• Re: Thailand Itinerary for 21 days -- Need your help

by sydneystone Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 2:41 AM

You will certainly be staying on the move but that's okay, I've done it myself ie see what interests me and move on.

I'll just make three comments:

First - I too always advise if you intend to do any serious shopping (which I have done in the past in lieu of seeing the sights) then have at least your last two days (eg full day + Ayutthaya)in Bangkok. You can still arrive BKK then Kanchanaburi - Amphawa - Hua Hin then fly to Chiang Mai.

Second - it appears you visiting Chiang Mai 3 times. Pai and Chiang Rai are both north of CM. Can you not drive from CM to Mae Hong Son then to Pai then to Chiang Rai/Chiang Saen then back to Chiang Mai. I don't see visiting the same place 3 times as practical. Just my 2 cents.

Three - I would never rely on domestic transport in a third world country to get me back to my departure point on the same day I am leaving. Just my opinion.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Thailand Travel Answer Locations