Thailand Travel Answers

change location

One night in Bankok

by marci.b Online Now Jan 22, 2013 at 12:41 PM

We will be in Bangkok for 2 days on a cruise liner and intend to overnight in Bangkok as the port is quite far from the city. We intend taking a 2 day city tour and wondered if anyone can recommend any "must see" sights and also a hotel in a central location where one can walk around and do some shopping. Position is important and we would like a 4* or 5 * hotel in a good vibrant location . Any help will be much appreciated thanks !!!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: One night in Bankok

by davidjo Online Now Jan 22, 2013 at 1:08 PM

You should stay in Sukhumvit road, that is where many restaurants and bars are as well as night market. I suggest Ambassador Hotel which is in Sukhumvit, lane 11. There are a few shopping malls 10 minutes away by taxi, near the sky train transportation system.
    You should not miss the Grand Palace and take a trip on the Chao Phraya River, especially at night when the temples and other structures are illuminated.
    http://www.ambassadorbangkok.th1.org/

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SirHalberd's Profile Photo

by SirHalberd Online Now Jan 22, 2013 at 4:26 PM

"hotel in a good vibrant location ..."

Bangkok is a really big city. Various things that tourists like to visit are spread over the city. Fortunately meter taxis are cheap when you do not bargain the cost and tell the driver to use the meter only! There are hotels not far from the city rail service too.
    urbanrail.net/as/bang/bangko...

Even NO STAR hotels under 1000 baht have air conditioning, private toilet and shower, TV and maid service. Sukhumvit is a good area. Lots to do late at nighttime. You can use the Skytrain, walk to restaurants, malls, street vendors, etc.
    Maybe this place on Sukhumvit Soi 11, the Aloft.
    deals.alofthotels.com/Aloft-...

Other hotels near Skytrain stops you can consider are the Pathumwan Princess, near MBK too. And the Evergreen Place, near Asia Hotel, at Ratchathewi Skytrain stop. Walk to shopping in Pratunam area.
    http://www.bangkok.com/pathumwan/
    evergreenplacebangkok.com/in...

Up to you.

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

by muratkorman Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 1:08 AM

We spent almost the same duration in our Bangkok visit and I guess we covered the best we could during that time. For central location and shopping potential I chose a hotel close to MBK. If you check my Bangkok page you can find details about the hotel and also what to visit and some other useful tips.

• bkk_kd's Profile Photo

by bkk_kd Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 6:53 PM

You didn't state your budget, but 4 or 5 stars probably puts you in the125 and up range. As you may have seen already, hotels in BK are relatively inexpensive and many offer special rates for early or non-refundable bookings. I lean toward booking directly with the hotel (many have a "best price" guarantee) as, compared with an agent or room reseller, there tends to be more flexibility available should your plans need to be changed.

Am unsure what kind of shopping you prefer, but I think a hotel in the Rajaprasong/Pratunam area affords a good mix of sidewalk, wholesale and high-end shopping. The list of true 4-5 star hotels in this area is quite long (but, sorry, certainly does not include the Ambassador as suggested by someone, as it's a 3 star on its best day): Grand Hyatt, Renaissance, Four Seasons, Intercontinental, Hansar, Kempinski, St. Regis, Marriott Courtyard and Centara Central World come to mind. Most importantly, all are within just a few minutes walk to a BTS Skytrain station.

Sukhumvit Road is often recommended, but IMO the shopping there is more-or-less limited to sidewalk sellers and many of these sellers are a bit "jaded" when dealing with tourists and are not above unseemly sales tactics. For a few hours and for the first time, not bad at all. For 2 days, too much for me.

Must sees: Reclining Buddha, Grand Palace, 2 hour ride on a long-tail boat, and happy hour just before sunset at Red Sky's outside deck on the top of the Centara Central World Hotel. And, be wary of overly helpful people who approach you and, no, there is no national jewellery sale which just happens to correspond with an unscheduled closing of whatever tourist site you say you intend to visit that day.

Have a good visit.

• DanW32's Profile Photo

by DanW32 Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 4:59 AM

Here's some great day tours in BKK. Especialy love the first one: 'one wild day in BKK' experience. Did it and you really get to experience BKK in a day!

adventurehoney.com/Experienc...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Thailand Travel Answer Locations