Thailand Travel Answers

change location

Bangkok - Buying Kitchen Stuff

by Japanophile Online Now Aug 16, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Hi,
I'm going to Thailand for the first time in a couple of weeks and being a bit of a foody I'd like to buy some authentic kitchen utensils (coconut grater, sticky rice basket etc.) My sister said that it's not easy to find shops like this in Bangkok. I just wondered if anyone could tell me a good area to try?

Thanks

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • earthflyer's Profile Photo

Re: Bangkok - Buying Kitchen Stuff

by earthflyer Online Now Aug 16, 2010 at 10:38 AM

I'm sure you will find stuff like quite easy, try the local market or maybe Chakuchak market which is only open in saturdays.

The locals will know where to get kitchen utensils, just ask.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • sezabell's Profile Photo

by sezabell Online Now Aug 16, 2010 at 5:42 PM

im sure if you just have a wee walk around some streets where the locals are you wont have a problem finding them :) if in doubt just ask

• SirHalberd's Profile Photo

by SirHalberd Online Now Aug 16, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Don't be surprised if some of your "authentic" utensils are made in China.

Don't forget to pick up a mortar and pestle if you want to cook authentic Thai specialties. I always see Thai street food vendors pounding away on vegetables to make them more tender or whatever.

There are restaurant supply stores in Bangkok too. It might help to print up a photo of what you want before you go shopping.

They even have a Yellow Pages directory in Thailand too.

search.yellowpages.co.th/en/...

Good luck.

• picek's Profile Photo

by picek Online Now Aug 17, 2010 at 5:00 AM

Some good suggestions above - Thai mortar and pestle definitively being among best stuff: we bought two in diffrent size, but they are all pretty heavy so you buy it at the end of your trip. They are great for kitchen use.

These shops are on many places, best is to look for them in areas where you see many local people on the street, close to markets, at markets, street restaurants, etc... a little walking around will bring you to right places.

• picek's Profile Photo

by picek Online Now Aug 17, 2010 at 5:09 AM

... but, if I remember well we bought these things in local shop close to Wat Bowonivet - there's also a market with clothes, which is near famous Khao San rd in Bangkok. Sticky rice baskets we usually bring from Laos, but they should have them in Thailand too, especially in Isaan provinces, which are in North East Thailand. Anyways, I'd recommend this area for visit, too. They have delicious food there :) and lots of sticky rice.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Thailand Travel Answer Locations