Thailand Travel Answers

change location

Finalizing Itinerary

by adrosenb Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I'm looking for some confirmation on my itinerary as I'm close to booking my flights within Thailand. I've already booked my flight to Cambodia from the US and returning to the US from Bangkok.

Also, I know we have a lot of of relaxing time in this itinerary in Koh Samui, but this is important to my wife. I could maybe convince her to cut one day, so if you think our time is too short in Bangkok or Chiang Mai, we could maybe add one extra day.

Thanks for your help!

My current plan is this:

Sat 7/20 -- Arrive in Siem Reap at 1040pm from the US

Sun 7/21 - Explore Angor Wat

Mon 7/22 - Explore Angor Way

Tue 7/23 - Explore Angor Wa & Depart for Bangkok on 7pm flight

Wed 7/24 - Explore Bangkok

Thu 7/25 - Explore Bangkok

Fri 7/26 - Explore Bangkok & Depart for Chiang Mai on a 830pm flight

Sat 7/27 - Explore Chiang Mai

Sun 7/28 - Explore Chiang Mai

Mon 7/29 - Explore Chiang Mai

Tue 7/30 - Depart for Koh Samui on noon flight

Wed 7/31 - Relax in Koh Samui

Thu 8/1 - Relax in Koh Samui

Fri 8/2- Relax in Koh Samui

Sat 8/3- Relax in Koh Samui

Sun 8/4- Relax in Koh Samui

Mon 8/5- Relax in Koh Samui

Tue 8/6 - Depart for Bangkok in the evening where we catch an 11pm flight back to the US

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • SirHalberd's Profile Photo

Re: Finalizing Itinerary

by SirHalberd Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 7:32 PM

If you are flying to Cambodia one way and from Thailand one way you probably paid more than round trip to Bangkok and then travel between Thailand and Cambodia using local transportation.   Too late now.

Maybe spend a full night or two in Bangkok before you fly home so you can shop and not worry about your connecting flight being cancelled.  Why buy tourist junk at the beginning of your holiday and have to carry it with you all over Chaiang Mai and Samui.

VT

HOW DO YOU USE PREVIEW?

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leon.partsi's Profile Photo

by leon.partsi Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Hi,

I would recommend swapping your timing so you spend nights in Bangkok at the end of your trip, not in the middle. It gives leeway in case you want to stay longer in Koh Samui or longer in Chiang Mai. Personally I'd stay longer in Chiang Mai, it's a lot more interesting for me than Koh Samui. Then again, my tastes are not necessarily yours...

Have you booked accommodation at any of these places yet? I'm just asking to understand how difficult it would be to change your plans at this point.

Cheers, Leon

Be the first to rate this answer!

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I follow Sir hals advice and leave Samui early and be in Bangkok a day ahead for shopping and a easy shot to the airport to be sure that you don,t miss your flight

cheers tommy x

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Your plan is quite good allowing enough time for each destination, but i would suggest to leave Bangkok for the final few days as i am sure you will be purchasing some goodies before you go home.  You have allocated 3 days for Angkor but maybe you will be templed out after two days so i syggest you allocate one day to exploring Ton Le Sap and see how the people live on stilt houses on the lake. In Chiang Mai i can recommend the Flight of the Gibbon, a day's adventure zip-lining and lunch buffet in the mountains north of Bangkok (other things included in the day trip also). I would forget about the elephant camps unless you like to ride elephants in a procession with hundreds of other tourists. They have been trained to paint pictures and play football in order to attract the tourist----absolutely ridiculous IMO.

• akkipaa's Profile Photo

by akkipaa Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Yeah, I like your plan, I have done almost similar (and I am doing close the that kind in two weeks :). Relax at the end is reasonable, you can tune lightly some parts (I am spending 4 nights in Siem Reap in the beg of March) but definitely you find that part reasonable. I would take one day of from Chiang Mai and place that to Bangkok as last day (as someone already proposed). It leaves to you one relax day in Bangkok not to spend your last day with hot travelling from Ko Samui to Bangkok (or of course you fly from KS to B so it's only one leg more., this might be wrong proposal. Depends a little bit how the flights match, right). Have fun, I am sure the original is a good plan, at least I could follow that easily).

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 1:36 AM

I find that your stay in Siem Reap is a bit short; you will be able to visit the temples in the main Angkor Thom area, but won't get to some of the more remote areas, if that is of any interest. We did not find the city of Chiang Mai particularly interesting (maybe a couple of days), but we spend three days trekking amongst the Hill Tribes and another couple of days at an elephant rehabilitation centre, so again, it really depends on what you are planning to do.

We only had a couple of weeks, so did not have enough time to visit either Bangkok or the usual locations on the water.

You are travelling in the rainy season, so that may impact your plans.

• Re: Finalizing Itinerary

by adrosenb Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 6:39 AM

Thanks everyone. I was considering going to Bangkok early, but since it is an 1140pm flight at night, felt like I didn't need to get back a day early to BKK - transfer to downtown to spend a day, then back to BKK.

Also, Bangkok Airways will transfer my bags even though it is a different ticket to Asiana, so I won't have to get them, which sounds nice.

The main reason that we aren't doing Bangkok last is we'd prefer to have the relaxing part of the trip last.

• akkipaa's Profile Photo

by akkipaa Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Yes, I think you are right. I normally follow your way, relax last, of course the way of relaxation can vary :) The luggage defines many times the way we travel, that was a good point, carrying heavy suitcases in Bangkok doesn't sound to be a good idea.

Good luck and Bon Voyage to you both!

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 7:02 AM

'wow, the advance editor works well, up load pictures, change fonts, and insert smiley faces.  It is everything most other forums all ready have and now we have have it too.  Thanks G for the effort, you get a star'  

• johnaalex's Profile Photo

by johnaalex Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 7:31 AM

I think I would do one day more in Bangkok and one day less in Chain Mai.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Thailand Travel Answer Locations