Tengger Caldera Travel Answers

change location
kschew's Profile Photo

A few questions on, what else, Mt Bromo

by kschew Online Now Mar 14, 2010 at 6:51 PM

G'day,
I plan to visit Mt Bromo later this year. I would like to get advice from the experienced members here.

(a)
*I know someone has already posted a similar question in 2005, but I would like to listen to the latest replies*

I understand that most tourists who visit Bromo leave right after breakfast, but I am considering spending an additional night there. What other activities can I do? Can I visit nearby villages or the Ranu Pani lake?

Will I need to hire 4WD to get to the lake? Since I will be traveling alone, hiring a 4WD will be heavy on my budget.

(b) Shall I book accommodation before going to Bromo?

(c) In case I can't get accommodation in Cemoro Lawang, and instead have to stay in Ngadisari, is there any public transport between the two places?

Your help is appreciated :)

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • theo1006's Profile Photo

Re: A few questions on, what else, Mt Bromo

by theo1006 Online Now Mar 16, 2010 at 5:59 AM

Hi Khengsiong,

Since no one answered you yet, let me try.

(c) is the easiest question. When I first visited Bromo in December 1973, there were no jeeps and also no accommodation at Cemoro Lawang. We stayed in Ngadisari and walked all the way to the caldera rim and across the sand sea. From Ngadisari to Cemoro Lawang is 3 km, from there to Bromo 4 km. The whole walk took about two hours.
    So if there is no public transport (which I doubt, except for the Probolinggo - Cemoro Lawang minibuses passing by) you could walk. Else, you could als a villager to bring you piggyback on his motorbike (ojeg).

(b) If you come on a public holiday or weekend it may be wise to reserve accommodation. On a weekday I would not bother. It also depends what quality of accommodation you want. In the cheaper accommodation where e.g. young Indonesians stay, you will always find a place. For these you cannot make a reservation.

(c) What else to do? I never did anything else. The distance to Ranu Pani lake from Cemoro Lawang is 17 km one way according to a map from Bromo cottages. I think it is less, but still rather much for a days walk. Perhaps you could charter a man with a horse, could be cheaper than a jeep; the villagers are desparate to make some money. (The rate for a horse ride from the parking to Bromo and back is Rp 75,000. When we walked some horse drivers followed us, hoping we would get tired. At last they offered Rp 5000 to bring us the remaining distance.)
    According to Lonely Planet Guide, you also can walk to Penanjakan viewpoint instead of hiring a jeep. Takes two hours and the last part is pretty steep, but the path is easy to follow - in the dark with a flashlight. As you speak Malay, you could find a young villager to accompany you for a fee.
    Lonely Planet also says yu can walk to Ngadas village on the other side of the caldera, 8 km. And from there travel on to Malang. But they say you must start early in order to make it to Malang y evening.

I hope this helps.
    Theo

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kschew's Profile Photo

Re: A few questions on, what else, Mt Bromo

by kschew Online Now Mar 16, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Thanks, Theo :)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines