Temple of Abu Simbel Travel Answers

change location

Day trip from Cairo or Luxor to Abu Simbel

by dathens Online Now Mar 27, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Is it possible to take a day trip from Cairo or Luxor to Abu Simbel? Or does one have to stay the night in Aswan? Is it possible to book my own flight & catch a bus? Or is it best to book a tour? Any tour operators recommendations would be appreciated.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • al2401's Profile Photo

Re: Day trip from Cairo or Luxor to Abu Simbel

by al2401 Online Now Mar 27, 2010 at 9:04 PM

You can fly from Cairo to Abu Simbel with one stop and the trip will take between 5 1/2 and 7 1/2 hours one way depending on where the stop is. If you leave form Luxor you actually go back to Cairo first! The trip is about 20mins from Aswan and flights leave regularly so you would not have to overnight there (but why not - there is much to see). Buses meet the planes for the drive to the site.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Day trip from Cairo or Luxor to Abu Simbel

by sirele Online Now Mar 27, 2010 at 10:00 PM

i would not recommend flying interior of Egypt. get a bus from the hotel concierge. or even better get a 5 star cruise on the Nile. cheap ans you will not regret it

• al2401's Profile Photo

by al2401 Online Now Mar 27, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Sorry to disagree with the other poster - flights in Egypt with Egypt Air are as safe as any airline, safer than some. They are also quite efficiently run imho :-)

• NilePrincess's Profile Photo

by NilePrincess Online Now Apr 1, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Agreed. I fly all the time and it's actually my preferred mode of transportation for long distances or if I'm pressed for time. If you fly with Egyptair, free buses are provided. The direct flights from Cairo to Abu Simbel are not as abundant as others so keep checking the Egyptair website or contact a travel agent.

From Luxor, you can fly, but if you have the time you should really consider overnighting in Aswan is. You can take the evening train from Luxor and stay at a budget hotel (eg. Keylany. Budget hotels in Aswan run really inexpensive tours to Abu Simbel, which include Philae Tample and the Unfinished Obelisk. You take the 4am convoy and are back in Aswan by 1:30pm.

Cheap and fun.

Best,
    NP

• Re: Day trip from sharm el sheikh to Abu Simbel

by fiatx19cars Online Now Dec 12, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Re: Day trip from sharm el sheikh to Abu Simbel

• Re: Day trip from Cairo or Luxor to Abu Simbel

by fred25 Online Now Jan 11, 2011 at 7:57 PM