Temple of Abu Simbel Travel Answers

change location

Stying at Abu Simbel

by shasbi Online Now Jun 23, 2006 at 11:09 PM

If we stay on Abu Simbel, can we walk to the temple, how far is the walk and can we get into the temple without being with a tour group and how much is it to get in?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • uglyscot's Profile Photo

RE: Stying at Abu Simbel

by uglyscot Online Now Jun 23, 2006 at 11:34 PM

see my Abu Simbel page. Many of the hotels are within walking distance of the temple.
    Yes you can get in , it is not necessary to be with a tour group , we were independent.
    The price I quote in my tips were When we were there in 2004.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • atufft's Profile Photo

RE: Stying at Abu Simbel

by atufft Online Now Jun 24, 2006 at 12:04 AM

Note that while hotels have popped up there in recent years, the better night action must still be back at Aswan. There are regular vans for independent travelers departing from Aswan in early morning for day trips to Aswan for about35- round trip. The Abu Simbel is not more than a two hour visit, unless you are trying to capture images at various times of the day, or something like that. The cost to get in will be discounted heavily if you use an international student ID.

• RE: RE: Stying at Abu Simbel

by shasbi Online Now Jun 24, 2006 at 12:24 AM

Thank you ... how long from Cairo to Aswan via train? And cost? I'm trying to figure out if we should leave for Aswan the day we arrive in Cairo, which will be the 20th of October...as we are planning to see the Sunrise Event at Abu on the 22 of Oct.
    Good to hear things can be arranged there.(something I'm not used to.. :)lol) Any recommendations on hotel in Aswan if we opt for that?

• atufft's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Stying at Abu Simbel

by atufft Online Now Jun 24, 2006 at 1:14 AM

I recall that the train took 16 hours from Cairo to Aswan. Your hotel in Cairo should be able to book the tickets for you the day you arrive. Be sure to also have them get you a "student ID". You'll need a couple extra passport photos and maybe a photocopy of your ID, as I recall. When our hotel offered the service, it didn't matter that we weren't really students, but later we found that ALL entrance fee costs are cut to one-third of the regular price. This was in 1997 though. I do know that the van trip from Aswan to Abu Simbel is the same, as this was the discussion of a forum not long ago. Check these forums out for further details. See my tips for Cairo, Aswan, Abu Simbel, Philae, Luxor, and other great places for the Egyptian tour.

• nadine2oo2's Profile Photo

by nadine2oo2 Online Now Aug 28, 2006 at 1:53 PM

Hi,
    The trip from Cairo to Aswan takes abput 12 hrs. The first of the 2 sleeper trains leaves at 8.00 pm arriving Aswan at 08.05 am . If you're going to visit Abu Simbel on such great day , I would recommend to contact a local travel agent to book your ticket either aboard train or aboard plane. Don't leave it till arriving Cairo or for your hotel or it 'd too late.

Hope that helps !
    Have a wonderful holiday
    nadine2oo2@yahoo.com

• atufft's Profile Photo

by atufft Online Now Aug 28, 2006 at 2:09 PM

Nadine being the local seems to have more precise train information. Mine was based on recollection, but we definitely booked out train via our hotel service desk the day before we left. Some hotels may be better than others, I suppose. As reported we did have trouble booking our own from Luxor to Cairo on the way back, having to settle for second class.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Temple of Abu Simbel