Temple of Abu Simbel Travel Answers

change location

Optional tour to Abu Simbel for $290 from Cairo - worth it?

by cyankov Online Now Mar 21, 2005 at 1:11 PM

I will be on an 8-day tour of Egypt with a Nile cruise included and there is an option for290 to fly to Abu Simbel from Cairo instead of directly to Aswan, to visit the temple and then fly to Aswan that night to meet back up with the tour group. Is it worth the price?

If we didn't do that, we would be "taking a leisurely sailing trip on a felucca passing the Lord Kitchener's Botanical Garden and the Aga Khan Mausoleum." Doesn't sound as if we go in, just pass. Not sure if that sounds very exciting or worthwhile to spend the day??

Should we spring for the optional trip?

Thanks for your advise in advance!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • cadzand's Profile Photo

RE: Optional tour to Abu Simbel for $290 from Cairo - worth it?

by cadzand Online Now Mar 21, 2005 at 1:43 PM

Why don't you fly to Abu Simbel from Aswan airport, as Abu Simbel, which is a "must do", is much closer to Aswan than to Cairo ? so less expensive. Once in Aswan you can easily hire a felucca and visit the Botanical garden and evtl. the Aga Khan Mausoleum. This takes you only a couple of hours.
    Have a nice trip

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Optional tour to Abu Simbel for $290 from Cairo - worth it?

by cyankov Online Now Mar 21, 2005 at 1:50 PM

We are traveling with a tour. Those that do not opt for Abu Simbel fly directly to Aswan. Those who opt for it, fly to Abu Simbel for the day and then fly to Aswan that evening.

• cadzand's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Optional tour to Abu Simbel for $290 from Cairo - worth it?

by cadzand Online Now Mar 21, 2005 at 1:59 PM

A flight from Aswan to Abu Simbel and back including the visit to the temple takes +- half a day. Maybe it is do-able on your own. We did it some years ago for about 130 €. Try to find out about the timetables. Good luck.

• Intrepidnyc's Profile Photo

by Intrepidnyc Online Now Mar 23, 2005 at 3:55 PM

We did the optional Abu Simbel excursion during our Egypt trip in 2000. It is a MUST SEE! The temple was almost (if not just as) incredible as the Great Pyramid in Giza. It was well worth the extra300 or so we paid. Enjoy! Egypt is a spectacular place.

• skydivefred's Profile Photo

by skydivefred Online Now Mar 24, 2005 at 10:55 AM

My goodness ! 8 day trip including a nile cruise. Looks like you won't see much of Egypt... The annoying thing is that you have put no info on your VT pages not even your age. Are you an old loaded guy or a normal guy with not much money and obviously not much time?
    What I'm saying is that if you are in Aswan you can take an early minibus to Abou Simbel Spend a couple of hours there and be back at Noon which still gives you half a day to visit a bit of WONDERFUL Aswan.
    All this for what ?.... 5-6 the ride And 15$ the Abou ticket at the entrance.
    Dear me 290$. Buy me presents instead I'm craving for a camcorder !!!!!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines