Tehachapi Travel Answers

change location

Commuting to LA?

by othermother Online Now Oct 30, 2010 at 10:36 PM

I love Tehachapi, and as a Veterinary Nurse and nature lover, I need to get out of LA as quickly as possible! The problem is, I have a small business that I will still need to service here in LA while I build new business in Tehachapi. Is there really any way to commute between the two cities? Does anyone really do that? Amtrak wants50.00 a day! How long would it take to drive it, and is there a quicker route than what I've seen? I could take the Angeles Crest Hwy into Lancaster and pick up Hwy 14, or............? HELP! I can't stand it here anymore!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • glabah's Profile Photo

Re: Commuting to LA?

by glabah Online Now Oct 30, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Google Maps lists the distance as 115 miles, and takes 2 hours 6 minutes, not including traffic troubles, and to expect that to be 3 hours in average traffic.

The problem with Tehachapi via Amtrak is that Amtrak does not serve Tehachapi directly with any railroad routes. Their route through the area is from Los Angeles east to riverside and north to Barstow. So, even if you wanted to pay the50 a day, you still would be on a bus for part of the distance, and it would take far longer than driving as the route arrangement isn't designed for city commute options.

The closest you can get on Metrolink appears to be Lancaster:
    http://www.metrolinktrains.com/
    metrolinktrains.com/document...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Oct 30, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Exactly where from "L.A" are you commuting from? Highway 14 to 58 is the only reasonable route, again depending where you are coming from will determine the time involved, in addition to the time of day you intend to drive. Surely you must know that already since you are a resident, so without all the information it is impossible to tell you how long it will take.

Again depending on the time of day and place of origin, if Amtrak is asking fifty bucks a day, - calculate what does it take to get to Amtrak on both ends and add to the fifty bucks cost, - versus the cost of driving in fuel and wear and tear on the car, versus the time frame for both ways. Remember that the cost of driving is more than just fuel. If I remember correctly I believe that average cost per mile is between 60c and a dollar per mile.

Amtrak's fifty bucks is round trip yes? Twenty five one way. Can you do that in a car. What are you driving? This is mainly a math problem. Also consider time from home to destination both ways (car versus train). More info is needed to really do the math properly.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Oct 31, 2010 at 1:08 AM

Odinnthor is right. LA is large, no, huge in area, so to take a quicker route from LA to Tehachapi, your starting point in LA would have to be known. By mentioning Angeles Crest Hwy into Lancaster tells me you may be on the Pasadena side of LA. Maybe you should e-mail fellow VTer "Yuqui" (Dee) who knows Tehachapi and the area backwards. lol BTW, where did you become a Veterinary Nurse, as here in the LA area I am not familiar with the term VN, I know that my son's girlfriend is a Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT)and that's the name I hear. :-)

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Oct 31, 2010 at 1:11 AM

Oops, the Tehachapi VTer is spelled "Yaqui".

• Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Oct 31, 2010 at 6:50 PM

I have family/friends in LA, Bakersfield, Tehachapi, and Las Vegas so have driven that route various ways several times. Bottom line is there is no reasonable way to get there other than drive. As everybody stated it's at least two hours via Hwy 58, 14 and 5 and that's from central LA so your times may vary depending on where you are coming from.

I assume this isn't something you will do every day so two hours isn't all that bad if you only have to do it once a week or can overnight it if you have to spend more than one day in LA. I have a good friend who moved to Tehachapi several years ago and lives up on the side of a mountain. He loves it and wouldn't move back to northern CA.

You might also consider living in Tehachapi and doing business in Mojave. My friend did that and there appeared to be more business opps in Mojave. Plus, that would put you about half hour closer to LA. I don't think I would live in Mojave from what I have seen.

Only other thing you might consider is driving into Lancaster or Palmdale and catching a comuter bus or car pool into LA.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines