Tashkent Travel Answers

change location

As a young female European....

by Wanderlust1970 Online Now Feb 10, 2006 at 4:56 PM

Hi there,
A very good friend of a friend has been working in Tashkent for a quite a while and is now down to biting her nails over what to do after work and especially over the weekend. The person concerned is quite young, European and of a bubbly, outgoing personality and not at all couch potatoe. Her immediate colleagues either a) have a family and are hence very family-orientated or b) are male and are into doing bloke-ish things and don’t really want a European female’s presence, let alone if it is that of a colleague or c) much older females that (this is what I suspect) don't like the presence of young, pretty "competition". With the Western expat community having shrunk dramatically and the Eastern/Oriental community not really being accessible due to the cultural/language barrier, the young woman concerned is becoming quite desperate to say the least. Going out on her own is not an option either as that is just not the done thing there.
So, if you were in her shoes what would you do? Especially if you are looking for like-minded people to have a chat with, a coffee, dinner, etc.? She is already learning Russian, so that option is taken care of, and I believe she has already visited the main tourist destinations in Uzbekistan.
Many, many thanks for your suggestions.
W.
xxxxxx

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • beck_uz's Profile Photo

RE: As a young female European....

by beck_uz Online Now Feb 17, 2006 at 9:45 AM

Hi
    Why don't you give her my e-mail, I live in Tashkent too, may be I can show here around or meet her for a coffee or something.
    I just came from US, not a long ago, and I am looking for someone to keep practicing my english
    beck55555@hotmail.com

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • fearlessrabbit's Profile Photo

RE: As a young female European....

by fearlessrabbit Online Now May 29, 2006 at 12:34 PM

I know exctly what she is facing there... Been there done it... The best is to make a friend... I can recomend the russian site where every one meet each other based on area they live in. Very good site... Damochka.ru It so easy to make a friend there... Good luck... tell her do not try to be too friendly with people she work with... People overthere do not like those who smile all the time... Smart and outgoing girl perseved as a treat and usually such qualities can get you in trouble... Ironi of life... I am so mglad I am not there, Milena

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines