Tashkent Travel Answers

change location

Departure Tax at Tashkent airport?

by tezzy Online Now Jun 1, 2010 at 2:19 AM

Hi all,

I just read on the Web that there might be departure tax of USD10.

Can someone who has recently got out of the airport tell me this is true?

Any other annoyances/obstacles I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance,
Tez

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • gaolei's Profile Photo

Re: Departure Tax at Tashkent airport?

by gaolei Online Now Jun 1, 2010 at 6:56 PM

In these former Soviet countries, people are standing in line to rip you off. I was in the arrival area waiting for my bag, the only way I coud get it was pay a baggage handler to get it. I gave him1 and he was upset, but that's his problem. Here is the link to my warnings. Tashkent Warnings Or Dangers Tips by gaolei

When I went up to customs, they were giving the guy in front of me a hard time, going through his luggage looking for anything. I was nervous when it was my turn. I stepped up to the agent and he said, put a 10 in the passport. I said, what? He said clearly, put ten dollars in your passport, so I did. He moved the passport down under the counter and took the 10 bucks. Then, he said, got any rugs, I said no, so he stamped my passport.

When I was there, the average engineer was making 25 dollars per month. My interpreter was paying his professor to keep him registered in classes to avoid being drafted. Expect to pay small bribes.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Departure Tax at Tashkent airport?

by neil_wm Online Now Jun 21, 2010 at 1:11 AM

Hi, i've lived in Tashkent whole my life, and i'll tell you one thing - you must always bargain with everybody(with taxi drivers, sellers, and so one). When they see that you are foreigner, they immediately raise the price in 2 times! If you need some help in TAshkent, i can help you/ i know my city very well, and i can help you with everything(tourism, bargains and so one) if you are interested please write me on this E-mail neil_wm@bk.ru

• Re: Departure Tax at Tashkent airport?

by dzasta56 Online Now Jul 3, 2010 at 2:45 PM

When I left Tashkent in May I did not pay tax or bribe. It was one of the easiest departures I have had, and nothing like I expected after reading horror stories about strip searches and bribes. I have a blog at www.travelpod.com/members/dzasta hope it helps.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Tashkent