Taormina Travel Answers

change location

Sam Re: Taormina to Sant Agata

by sannib Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I will be in Taormina with a tour group but would like to break away and visit my grandfather's hometown Sant Agata. What is the best way to get there from Taormina? Can I rent a car for a day, take a bus, train? Thanks......Sam

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Sam Re: Taormina to Sant Agata

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Do you know which "Sant'Agata" in Sicily was his hometown? There's localita' Sant'Agata in the province of Messina (not far north of the city), there's Sant'Agata di Militello also in the province of Messina, but 80 kilometers west of the city, and Sant'Agata in the province of Palermo, some 80 kilometers east of that city...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • by sannib Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 8:30 AM

It was Sant' Agata di Militello. Thanks.......Sam

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Sam Re: Taormina to Sant Agata

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 9:44 AM

OK, this makes sense as it is the largest one (still, only 13,000 inhabitants or so)...

Sant'Agata di Militello can be reached by train from Taormina. It's not particularly fast - taking between 2.5 and 3.5 hours each way. In every case, you take a train up the coast to Messina, then change trains to go along the northern coast to Sant'Agata di Militello. The fares one way 2nd class will be between 8.70 euro and 14.25 euro, depending on the train that you take up to Messina (the InterCity trains are more expensive than the regional trains).

So, for example, you could leave Taormina at 9:22 a.m., arrive in Messina at 9:56, have an hour and a half layover and leave Messina at 11:25, and arrive in Sant'Agata at 12:54. You can see the connections for yourself at www.trenitalia.com (English at the top). BE SURE to enter the name "S. Agata di Militello" as your destination, as it won't understand "Sant'Agata di Militello". On the Trenitalia website, it's no good to look too far in advance (more than 60 days); so enter a date in the next week or two that is the same day of the week as the day you expect to be there (service may or may not decline on Sundays and holidays). This will be good enough for planning purposes.

If you rent a car, www.viamichelin.com offers you a routing up through Messina, which is about 151 kilometers, although on highway almost the entire way. They estimate it would take just under 2 hours. Of course, if you look at a map, you'll see that this is the long way around - you could cut straight across the island on the S120 and connect in Randazzo to the S116. This would be a lot shorter...but it would be on the equivalent of state highways (or less), so it might take you just as long to do that.

I don't see a direct bus. You could do it with a change or two, but I don't see that this would be any faster than the train.

Will you have the opportunity to spend the night in S. Agata di Militello, or is this just a day trip?

Bill

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines