Tangier Travel Answers

change location

Tangier to Gibraltar

by Konakona Online Now Sep 22, 2007 at 6:34 PM

Cruise ship will be in Tangier one day only but would be interested in ferry or hydrofoil to Gibraltar. What is best way to arrange it? Is a guide necessary or can we do it ourselves? Will ferries and/or hydrofoil be running in October?

Any information much appreciated.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • angiebabe's Profile Photo

Re: Tangier to Gibraltar

by angiebabe Online Now Sep 24, 2007 at 9:14 PM

I agree - stay and enjoy Morocco and keep Gibraltar for another time if you really need to go see it!
    you could do a quick trip down to Asilah or to the Grottoes of Hercules which are nice spots and the rest of the time seeing Tangier.

the streets of the medina and grande market are interesting,(excellent huge covered fish and vege market etc - bought lovely roses for only about £1 - youd love them in your room on your cruise!?), the Anglican church there is very interesting - the cemetary and inside the church and the guide Mustafa who lives there is great to meet (Michael Palin did an interesting visit to Tangier and was great seeing his visit to Mustafa and this church).
    If youve not been to morocco before the fortress up on the hill has an interesting museum and great views over the Strait of Gibraltar.
    The American museum is interesting too if its open while you are around.

The thing with Gibraltar is that unless its been changed there is only a weekly direct ferry otherwise you have to go fast ferry 35 mins to tarifa where the ferry company has a bus waiting takes you 20m mins to algeciras and then you can catch either 21 euro taxi to the border which is La Linea or a 1.60 euro 45 min bus 5-10 mins walk from the border. and as much as i liked it and stayed for 3 nights i wouldnt choose it above a day in Tangier!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Tangier