Tangier Travel Answers

change location

accomodations & travelling by public transportation/foot

by DrNault Online Now Jan 12, 2006 at 10:15 AM

My husband and I will be visiting Tangier on our way to Fez from Spain. We plan on staying overnight in Gibraltar and then taking the ferry to Tangier and then the train to Fez. Can anyone tell me how easy it is to get around without a guide and without a car? Is it easy to get from the ferry to the train station? Are they close to one another?
Can anyone recommend a clean hotel with no water problems close to the train station? We are not certain if we will stop in Tanger on our way to Fez, or on the way back, or both.
Is the train station far from the Kasbah and other touristy destinations? Is it easy enough to get to these locations when you are not with a guide with a vehicle?
Also, are dinhars or Euros preferred for money? I have heard mixed things.
One more question: how safe is it to travel and arrive via ferry or train during the night?
Any tips or assistance with these questions would be greatly appreciated!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Ritchie_Lionheart's Profile Photo

RE: accomodations & travelling by public transportation/foot

by Ritchie_Lionheart Online Now Jan 12, 2006 at 4:16 PM

Quite frankly, I personally would recommend that you use the services of a "guide" in Tangiers, if it was only to chase all the hasslers away. Stay also well abreast of carpet shops/stands and negotiate prices (including the one for the guide). Usually, paying less than half of the original price is NORMAL. Maybe s.o. in this forum can give you the address (email or phone number) of an jonest English-speaking guide.... Read the traditional travel guides for warnings and recommendations. Fez is much safer, but a guide is no luxury neither.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Tangier