Tampa Travel Answers

change location

"Hidden must see places" around the area

by tayl0rx4 Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 9:36 AM

In a few weeks I will be flying into Tampa and staying at my grandparents house which is about 20 minutes north of Clearwater. I'm looking for some must see, like spectacular things/places to see around the area. Like amazing views and nature things, and hidden beaches that are beautiful that many not many people know about. I'm not into going to Busch Gardens or the Aquarium, I'd rather like go on a nature hike to a great view of the gulf. Anyone know of some great places/views to go to around this area. Sorry if this is confusing or bad wording- just trying to get my point across :)

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Re:

by grandmaR Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Well there's Shell Key and Ft de Soto park.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Re:

by gwened Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 1:31 PM

i vote for Fort DeSoto park off the tip of St pete beach, Clearwater has a nice beach too. Then over to Tampa visit Ybor City,and the pier in St Petersburg.
    http://www.ybor.org/
    http://www.stpetepier.com/

both old stumping ground for my family. Hope it helps

• martensd's Profile Photo

Re:

by martensd Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 1:33 PM

How about hunting for shark teeth fossils in the Peace River in Arcadia, Florida which is a couple hours S/W from Clearwater.
    Here is a website for a tour to this area:
    www.canoeoutpost.com/peace/showpage.asp?page=fossil

There is also the rather touristy Tarpon Springs which was famous for sponge diving.
    Cheers
    David

• FloridaBeachBum's Profile Photo

Re:

by FloridaBeachBum Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Check out Sunsets at Pier 60 on Clearwater Beach. They have street/beach performers, live music, shopping. On weekends they have free movie showings outside with popcorn and all! Its a really fun and neat experience.

If you're into an "adventure" you could check out Egmont Key. Lot's of exploring and beautiful scenery. Lot's of photo ops to bring back home with you. You just need catch a ferry or boat ride out to access it, which only adds to the adventure. :-)

This link has a bunch of info if you decide to go there.
    http://hubbardsmarina.com/egmont/

Either way, be safe and have fun!
    FloridaBeachSafety.com

• Florida999's Profile Photo

Re:

by Florida999 Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Honeymoon Island State Park is nice, so is Fort Desoto
    I would also drive to some springs if you have time, but that would be a little further
    Manatee Springs is nice
    Tarpon Springs has great Greek food , lots of little stores if you like that sort of thing and boat trips ( but the sponge boat trip is not worth it)

• tampa_shawn's Profile Photo

Re:

by tampa_shawn Online Now Nov 8, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Honeymoon Island is great. Make sure you go to the back of the park and check out the Osprey trail that is my favorite part.

Re:

by tampa_shawn Online Now Nov 8, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Fort De Soto Park
    3500 Pinellas Bayway S., Tierra Verde, FL 33715

This is the official street address. The park is pretty huge though. The center of it is the fort. If you know the area at all it is West of Tampa and South. Kinda near St Petersburg. In a town called Tierra Verde. pinellascounty.org/park/05_f...

Re:

by tampa_shawn Online Now Nov 8, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I'd also go to Ybor City. This is where the locals hang out. There is a small museum there, a shopping district and a bunch of old buildings. Ybor is the area where Tampa started and is great for history etc.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines