Tamanrasset Travel Answers

change location

Trip to Tam in March

by momokun7 Online Now Oct 6, 2008 at 8:32 AM

Hi,

I am planning a trip from the UK to tamanrasset in March 2009. My plan is to get a solid 4x4 car, drive through France to pick up friends and take a ferry to Algiers from Marseille. Once in Algiers, we'll drive through to Ghardaia, el Golea, Insallah and then Tamanrasset where we will be staying most of our time. My question is, Could we find a local guide to take us on a trip to the hoggar for a week or so? or if we could join an organised expedition? Also, what are the costs?

Many thanks for your answers.

Mourad

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • Kevin-UK's Profile Photo

Re: Trip to Tam in March

by Kevin-UK Online Now Oct 6, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Try here, lots to read.
    www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Trip to Tam in March

by venoquine Online Now Oct 6, 2008 at 1:09 PM

In Tamanrasset, there are many local guides, but joining an expedition is much, much better( security) I have done it with organised expedition from France, it was not very cheap.Don't forget the visa.

by momokun7 Online Now Oct 7, 2008 at 6:02 AM

Thanks Kevin for teh good website, I'll read through it.

Regards

by momokun7 Online Now Oct 7, 2008 at 6:08 AM

Hi Venoquine,

When I said joining an Expedition I meant joining one once in Tamanrasset. I will still need to drive with my mates from Algiers to Tam. I am an algerian myself living in the UK for the last 11 years. The last time I have been to the sahara was back in 1989, was great. I want to do it again with a bunch of french friends. So ideally, we will be taking the ferry from Marseille to Algeires and drive all the way to Tam. Once in Tam, We will need to hire a gide for a week to show us the way to the Tassili. So, do you think we could hire a guide or tail follow a pre-organised expedition?

regards

by venoquine Online Now Oct 7, 2008 at 10:05 AM

In the town of Tam there are many official guides, I try to find the name of the one we had.
    Salutations

by venoquine Online Now Oct 8, 2008 at 12:10 PM

As promised here is an e-mail adress of Lakhdar who can provide a guide while there:
    kgabgag@hotmail.com
    he is not the one we had, still trying to find his adress as I did not contact him since a long time.
    A bientôt.
    I gave the same address to another VT member.

by momokun7 Online Now Oct 9, 2008 at 6:29 AM

Merci venoquine, J'ai vu sur votre profile que vous etes de Paris, justement mes amis a qui j'ai propose cette expedition sont de Paris. J'avais passe une semaine avec eux au maroc en juin dernier. On a ete au chuttes d'Ouzoud pres de Marrakech, c'etait tres bien.

Je suis deja rentre en contact avec Lakhdar avant hier et qui a propose de m'assister quand le moment viandra.

A bientot

by Micke77023 Online Now Nov 29, 2008 at 7:17 AM

Hi,

I am planning a trip through North Africa in June 2009. I would like to start in France and take a boat over similar to what you did. From there, Algeria, Tunisia, and Morocco are all destinations I would like to visit. Do you feel it is safe for a 22 year-old, Male, US Citizen? Also, any advice for what to see/do. Where to visit? What to avoid?

Your guidance would be much appreciated.

- Mickey

by venoquine Online Now Nov 29, 2008 at 9:33 AM

Hi, from Marseille there are ferries crossing to Algiers:
    just type SNCM FERRIES.
    To Tam I suggest a flight from Algiers.South of Algeria is not dangerous(at the moment).From Algeria , cross to tunisia, then a flight to Morroco as the border between Algeria and Morroco is not opened.
    If you want more , please ask.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Tamanrasset