Tamanrasset Travel Answers

change location
jpalmer's Profile Photo

Accommodations

by jpalmer Online Now Mar 23, 2006 at 12:47 AM

Any recent traveler to Tamanrasset: I may be heading there on a government one-year contract. My wife has joined me in Thailand, Peru, Iran (before revolution), and Philippines. Would you recommend she join me in S. Algeria?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • pablo11000's Profile Photo

RE: Accommodations

by pablo11000 Online Now Jun 12, 2006 at 4:28 PM

hello , im from tamanrasset , no prob u can be with familly in tamanrasset , the sity is safe ,
    greeting
    lakhdar

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • janiebaxter's Profile Photo

Re: Accommodations

by janiebaxter Online Now Jul 16, 2007 at 11:33 AM

I would definitely recommend your wife joins you in Tamanrasset. I just returned from a trip there on my own, although I had a guide, and had no problems. You need to make sure you don't wear revealing clothes in public - no short sleeves, tight clothes or shorts. But you don't have to cover your hair, although it helps to keep the sun off as it gets very hot! There is practically no English spoken, so you may have difficulty with shopping and general day to day communication if you don't speak French. The local language is Tamahak and most people also speak Arabic.
    The desert there is absolutely stunning and there are many other places in the South and centre of Algeria to visit in your spare time, as well as the Roman sites in the North.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Tamanrasset