Taman Negara Travel Answers

change location

is late december a bad time to visit taman negara?

by xinsun Online Now Nov 7, 2007 at 6:25 PM

Hi, guys. I just get some info saying that late December and January come rainy season for taman Negara. Unluckily, I shall only stay in Malaysia from 21st Dec to 27th Dec. Does it mean I should give up plan to visit TN while I really want to see rain forest, which is special to Malaysia, instead of historic Melaka and Penang. Do I have any chance to meet other backpackers in TN to share trek into forest? Also, is the weather then bearable for forest trekking?
Many thanks

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Bad-dad's Profile Photo

Re: is late december a bad time to visit taman negara?

by Bad-dad Online Now Nov 9, 2007 at 10:59 AM

Last December I was in Tamen Negara in mid December. It rained once in 5 days.

Normally, the monsoon does give the East Coast and TN lots of rain. However, last year it moved track and hit Malaysia on the West/South west - lots of flooding in JB & Malacca.

If you go to TN, take an umbrella. Leave out the water proofs - it is too hot.
    have plastic bags for your clothes and a plastic bag for your camera.

Did not see any mozzies or leeches.

Ear plugs are useful at night - the frogs are VERY loud.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: is late december a bad time to visit taman negara?

by LynnOng Online Now Nov 25, 2007 at 5:36 AM

Just came back from Taman Negara today. The guide there said last year monsoon came 30 December. This year they expect monsoon to arrive early Jan, due to El Nino effect. They are having a Taman Negara Fest from 15-30 Dec this year, with activities such as Canoeing Competition, Blow Pipe Competition, Canoe Tug-of-War, Paintball competition etc. Saw quite a number of foreigners who travel alone. Think you have a good chance meeting other backpackers and maybe join together for activities.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines