Taman Negara Travel Answers

change location
Jorgelina's Profile Photo

Solo Trip to TN in December... Safe?

by Jorgelina Online Now Sep 17, 2006 at 3:18 PM

I plan 3D/2N in Taman Negara, coming from KL, in mid December. Besides the warning posts I've read here about leeches in the rainy season and potentially overpriced organized tours, I wonder if anyone can share their experience traveling alone there. I'm a woman and I don't speak Malay. I'm assuming from its touristy nature it'll be easier than other parks in Malaysia.

Thx.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • SurfaceTravel's Profile Photo

RE: Solo Trip to TN in December... Safe?

by SurfaceTravel Online Now Sep 18, 2006 at 12:36 AM

Most the tourists I saw at the park were other Malaysians, but English was prevalent enough for me not to have any problems.

As for organised tours, you can arrange the activities yourself when you show up. For example, the canopy walk: you just show up at the Mutiara Resort, walk through their grounds, and it's a well-signposted trail going to the canopy walk, maybe a 20 or 30 minute (very hot and humid) walk.

Map: www.taman-negara.com/map.htm (This link will mess up your cut-and-paste function while open, but it's the best map I've found.)

Just across the river from the resort is the village of Kuala Tahan. It takes about 10 minutes to walk between the two locations plus a five minute ferry ride, which costs RM 1.00. On the river itself are a few floating restaurants and a floating tour operator. We booked a river boat tour from there, where there were also rafting and many other options.

Ee were not even staying at that resort. We were staying in one of the cheap rooms in Kuala Tahan and eating at the floating restaurants which were pretty good.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Solo Trip to TN in December... Safe?

by PeteLow2004 Online Now Sep 18, 2006 at 2:10 AM

Hi,
    3D2N is just nice to visit T,Negara.
    The agency that arrange this travel is all right. It is situated at Mandarin Pacific in Chinatown. You can find it at www.taman-negara.com.
    Take a tour at my web page and of others at VT. It provides good sources of infomation.
    I travelled solo and there were ladies who travelled solo in my group too.
    Btw, December is the rainy season. So be prepared to get wet.

Rgds

• jessaminevillareal's Profile Photo

by jessaminevillareal Online Now Oct 4, 2006 at 6:10 AM

I've just come back from my solo four day trip in Taman Negara. I traveled alone from KL.It was my second time in KL and my first in TN. I don't speak Malay either. Earlier, February this year, I have done a 3-day solo jungle trekking in Kao Yai National Park in Khorat, Thailand and it was the best experience I ever had.

My Taman Nagara trip was great as well, though I wished I had more time in the jungle. You don't have to worry, Malaysians can communicate well in English and it's a very safe country. Also, the organized tours are not overpriced if you go for the NKS 3D/2N package. Book at the NKS office at the Hotel Mandarin Pacific at Petaling St., Chinatown KL. They also have a website, www.taman-negara.com, I think.

Don't worry about the leeches. I have never been bitten by ANY leech in TN and in Kao Yai which are supposedly leech-infested jungles.

I plan to return to TN next year for a 9-day climb to Gunung Tahan. If I can do that solo, I'll love to, as well. Enjoy your December trip!

• Jorgelina's Profile Photo

Thank you!

by Jorgelina Online Now Oct 9, 2006 at 11:00 PM

That's just the confidence-boost I was looking for. Thanks for the info... can't wait to go now!

• RE: RE: Solo Trip to TN in December... Safe?

by saraluna Online Now Nov 30, 2006 at 2:22 AM

i don't know if your dates match up at all, but i also am a single, english speaking female planning a 3d/2n tour of tn coming from KL. i fly into KL on dec. 4 and leave on the 8th, so i was going to be in the jungle 12/5,6, & 7. if that works for you at all i'd love to go together, as i've never done anything like this alone before! thanks!

• Jorgelina's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Solo Trip to TN in December... Safe?

by Jorgelina Online Now Nov 30, 2006 at 11:15 PM

Oh how I wish our dates synch'd! I arrive in Sing from US on 9th, KL on 11th... so likely 12-15 at TN. Have you arranged a tour/package?

• bpacker's Profile Photo

by bpacker Online Now Dec 26, 2006 at 6:03 PM

Sorry guys, I really beg to differ. If you have been reading the news recently, there has been a spate of heavier than average rainfall in this region. It really doesn't pay to go to TN during the time when the rains are heavy as :

1)The leeches come out to play ( expect tiger leeches )
    2)The rivers are swollen and the currents are too fast for rafting ( there have been fatalities in these parts )
    3)Treking will be a slippery affair ( one of the highlights include scaling a small hill )
    4)Animals tend to hide when it rains!

However, if you still intend to come over, do go on an organised tour. Contrary to what you mentioned, it's more expensive organising your own independent outings to various parts in the park. Join a local group, it's cheaper ( shared costs ) and there is more camaraderie when there are more folks doing an adventure together! Also, since you're a solo traveller and a gal like me, it pays to stick to a group for safety.

Not much of a language barrier here btw, since this place is developed for tourism, everybody speaks at least a bit of rudimentary English over here. And yes, it's easier to navigate around here compared to other parks ( eg endau rompin).

Details of the tour group/My adventures etc can be seen in my TN pages.

Gd luck!
    g

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines