Talkeetna Travel Answers

change location

Travelling from Talkeetna to Anchorage in April

by 13raji Online Now Oct 3, 2008 at 5:48 AM

Hi!
My partner and I are spending our honeymoon travelling around Alaska in April. We want to go from Talkeetna to Anchorage on 21st April but are having trouble figuring out how to do it. I don't mind hiring a car and driving down, but I was hoping that there might a bus/train service so that I could take in all the scenery!
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Raji + Tom

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Roadquill's Profile Photo

Re: Travelling from Talkeetna to Anchorage in April

by Roadquill Online Now Oct 3, 2008 at 11:26 PM

The highway is a fairly straight shot and from what I remember ( it has been about 10 years) the overall landscape was similar from Anchorage to Talkeetna, although there was more mountain area near the Chugash range. We enjoyed being able to stop when we found great views or wildlife, like a moose in a small pong or a black bear scampering across the highway. Karl

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • onebadcat's Profile Photo

by onebadcat Online Now Oct 10, 2008 at 10:23 PM

The train runs in the spring but in April only goes southbound on Sundays. Go to http://www.akrr.com/arrc18.html for info on the schedule and fares. Look for the section on theAurora winter train. Other than that I think the car rental may be your best option.

Scott

• USanFrancisco's Profile Photo

by USanFrancisco Online Now Nov 17, 2008 at 3:35 PM

I would hire a car. May I ask why you want to visit Talkeetna versus heading South of Anchorage?

• lattelora's Profile Photo

by lattelora Online Now Dec 10, 2008 at 10:37 PM

We made the Anchorage trip to Denali in October after tourism season. (I am a photographer and went on assignment) It was still sooooo beautiful! In April it will still be chilly but should be great views of wildlife and mountains. We had a great time in Talkeetna! We walked into downtown every morning and got coffee and exercise. Everyone that lives there is super nice. I have some pics I took when we went, if I can figure out how to post them. If you have any more questions feel free to ask me off forum, too is fine. alaskaparks@msn.com

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines