change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• amiya's Profile Photo

Travelling with kids in Futami area

Ise Dec 14, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Hi, we are planning to visit Futami area (Bunka mura and wedded rock) this winter. We will come from Yokkaichi and get off at Ise station. What would be the best way to go to Bunka Mura. I read that there is a bus that we can take to go there. How easy is it to use the bus? And from Bunka Mura to the rock, will it be possible to walk?

more
    • rakmedeiros's Profile Photo

Train Travel

Japan Yesterday

Can I get to Tsuwano from Tokyo by train, without going all the way south to Shin Yamaguchi? Is there a train that goes across Japan? Looks like a train may go to the west coast from Fukuyama but cannot find the information. All of the websites I checked route me down to Shin Yamaguchi.
      Thank you

more
    • Transport options

Sapporo Nov 26, 2014 at 12:24 AM

I am traveling in a party of 9 pax, all adults. We will be in Hokkaido from the 14th to 23rd Dec. Upon arrival in Chitose Airport we will have a coach to transport us to Niseko - 4days. from Niseko we will then go to Noboribetsu - 2 days and then go to Sapporo City - 3 days before flying off to Tokyo for a connecting flight out of Japan. Need advise if it is easier and more efficient to arrange coach transport from Niseko - Noboribetsu - Sapporo given that we have nine adults or we should just rely on the train system? Which is cheaper and more time efficient given that it is winter and the roads maybe laden with snow.

more
    • fridz's Profile Photo

to Osaka Castle

Osaka Dec 11, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Hi!

From Namba Subway Station how to go to Osaka Castle?

thanks

more
    • fridz's Profile Photo

Kansai Airport to Namba Oriental Hotel

Osaka Dec 11, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Hi!

How to go to Namba Oriental Hotel (near Namba Subway Station) from Kansai Airport? What are the options? thanks much

more
    • Last Min Trip- Urgent help needed for 7 day Tokyo itinerary

Tokyo Dec 6, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Hi Everyone,

Need some urgent help. Last minute change in plans and I am now travelling to Tokyo with hubby and a 6 yr old girl from 8-14th Dec. I have some places in mind to cover and would be great if you could help string the itinerary together that is most efficient. I arrive at Narita Airport at 5pm on the 8th Dec. Thanks!!

Disneyland- 1 day
      Disney Sea- 1 day
      Universal Studios
      Tokyo Tower or Sky Tree
      Hakone (would I need to stay over if i want a full day in the gotemba outlet?)
      Mt Fuji
      Lake Ashi Pirate Ship Cruise
      Gotemba Premium Outlets- 1 day
      Shibuya, Ginza

Doughnut Plant & Magnolia Cupcake & Clinton Street Baking Company (when and how to include these three given their location)

Anything else that could fit in that I missed that you would recommend for a first timer? Pls suggest if any.

Thanks for your help.

more
    • Jesper's Profile Photo

Okinawa Islands itinerary

Japan Nov 30, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Hi! First trip to the Islands :-) We are arriving Naha an early morning in the end of March. We have 4 nights before going to Kyoto. I know it’s a bit early going to the beach, but we want to go to Kerama Islands. Aka-Jima ? I’m a diver and want to spend a day diving. A half day whale watching if it’s not to late at the end of March ? Some suggestions for a 4 night itinerary ? Going straight from the airport to Kerama Islands and spend the last day / night in Naha ? Or is 3 night ”too much” on a small island ? Thank you very much ☺

more
    • Poling's Profile Photo

How to keep feet warm

Osaka Dec 18, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Will be departing to Osaka/Kyoto next week. Knowing that the it will be pretty cold, what should I wear to keep my feet warm? thanks.

more
    • fridz's Profile Photo

from Osaka (Namba) to Kyoto

Kyoto Dec 11, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Hi guys!

What's the easiest and fastest way to go from Osaka to Kyoto? and also, From Kyoto station, which is nearer to go to - Golden Pavilon or Nijo Castle? Can we visit that 2 in one day? How can we go there? Thanks much

more
    • 2 day trip around Kyoto

Kyoto Nov 30, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Hi,
      Where we should go -for 2 days- around Kyoto?
      (Not Nara or Osaka, cause they are already in my travel plan)
      Do you know another interesting village/city/interesting place 10-50 km around Kyoto?
      Thank you!

more
    • globetrott's Profile Photo

a strange costume - what is it ?

Hiroshima Nov 23, 2014 at 2:31 AM

I hope this is considdered a travelrelated question ! I saw this Person standing for almost 2 hours in the same place: he/she did not move, did not beg for Money, was always looking in the same direction and had a costume that I never saw somewhere else in Japan. These photos are taken in Miyajima, a holy Island, so maybe it has to do with religion

more
    • heydelin's Profile Photo

Where can I find the best Hida beef?

by heydelin Online Now May 18, 2014 at 1:06 AM

Hi everyone,

Can you guys recommend me a nice affordable place that serves Takayama's best Hida beef?

Thanks!

• Driving to Takayam in April

by hykee Online Now Feb 17, 2014 at 5:50 PM

We are driving to Takayama, Okuhida onsen village and Shiragawa-go in mid April 2014. May I know what the road condition will be ?

Do we need to get the car fixed with snow tyres, or just get snow chain for standby, or better to hire a SUV / 4WD ?

Thanks.

3 Answers Mar 1, 2014 at 7:12 PM
    • Takayama coming from Matsumoto going to Kanazawa

by Donnalaura20 Online Now Jan 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Hi,

Curling our Japan Tour we also want to see some more rural areas. Coming from Tokio we want to go to Matsumoto, then Takayama and then Kanazawa. To Matsumoto and from Kanazawa we will take a train.

First I was thinking of renting a car, but the dropoff at another location is very expensive.

Alternatively there is the Bus option, which has two Main downsides for me: 1.we have all our luggage we always have to carry arround and have to store somewhere. 2. we cannot stop when we want Ort do sidetours (i.e.S-go).

Do you think this Tour is possible by Bus?
      Ort any ideas where to get a rental Car without High dropoff fees.

Thanks,

2 Answers Jan 7, 2013 at 1:41 AM
    • Melanie_Putra's Profile Photo

Shin Hotaka Ropeway Bus Terminal's Lockers?

by Melanie_Putra Online Now Oct 1, 2012 at 12:40 AM

1. Are there any locker or luggage storage facility at the Shin Hotaka Bus Terminal?
      1. Would anyone know whether taxi fare is reasonable around there? Four of us plan to stay the night at Yarimikan, which is 10 minutes by bus from the ropeway. Wondering whether it is cheaper to share a cab vs taking the bus...

Tq, Mel

1 Answer Oct 5, 2012 at 5:19 PM
    • Melanie_Putra's Profile Photo

Toilet in Bus running Matsumoto-Takayama-Kanazawa?

by Melanie_Putra Online Now Sep 14, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Hi Guys,

May I check with you whether the highway buses have toilet onboard? If not, how often do they stop? I am considering Tokyo-(maybe Matsumoto)-Takayama-Shirakawago-Kanazawa-Toyama-Alpine Route-
      Matsumoto-Tokyo. Still deliberating which mode of transport to use in term of cost, scenery and timing... But should be taking the bus between Takayama and Kanazawa at least, and perhaps from Matsumoto to Takayama. So specifically, does the Nohi Bus between Matsumoto, Takayama and Kanazawa have toilet?

Thanks,
      Mel

2 Answers Sep 15, 2011 at 7:09 AM
    • Faster route?

by vivispy Online Now Aug 29, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Hi guys,

We are interesting in visit Takayama coming from Tokyo or Kyoto.
      Wondering witch way would be faster. We are planning on visiting the three locations. The idea is to take the Shinkansen to-from the locations.
      Any alternative fast route?
      Thank you!

1 Answer Aug 29, 2011 at 3:25 PM
    • arianne_1504's Profile Photo

Takayama Night Markets

by arianne_1504 Online Now Feb 17, 2010 at 2:23 AM

I've heard that there are night markets in Takayama. Does anyone know about this, or has anyone been? Are they open every night and if so, whereabouts?
      Thanks!

• piglet44's Profile Photo

Takayama AND Kanazawa?

by piglet44 Online Now Nov 3, 2009 at 6:30 AM

Should we visit both Takayama and Kanazawa or only one and if so which? we will only have around 17 days for our trip , and otherwise will be in Tokyo, Kyoto and HIroshima.Travelling by train its doable but maybe better to spend more days in one location.. thanks

3 Answers Nov 3, 2009 at 7:57 AM
    • Muralidharan09's Profile Photo

Takayama Accomodation

by Muralidharan09 Online Now Jun 2, 2009 at 7:40 PM

I am travelling to Takayama and am looking for a place to stay ( budget guest houses, Not hotels pl) in November of 2009 ( 4th, 5th, and 6th)

2 Answers Aug 1, 2009 at 1:24 AM
    • Places to see in Takayama

by hortaleza Online Now May 19, 2009 at 10:46 PM

What are the must-see places in Takayama?

Anyone? Please post your faves here so I may have initial ideas
      on where to start my trip. Thanks!

Would two days and two nights be enough to explore Takayama? I'm basically after the folk village, and seeing more of nature this side of Japan.

5 Answers May 24, 2009 at 6:17 PM
    • Budget Traveler Need Advice

by hortaleza Online Now May 18, 2009 at 11:07 PM

Hi! I'm planning a trip to Takayam sometime in October 2009. I would like to spend some time in Tokyo first, then on to Takayama. As I've never traveled to Japan before, and I hear everything is just so pricey, around how much do I have to prepare if I wanted to stay for about 3 days in Tokyo and two days in Takayama?

Also, anybody got some advice on budget places to stayin both Tokyo and Takayama? And least expensive routes to Takayama from Tokyo and back?

Thank you so much!

5 Answers May 24, 2009 at 12:19 AM
    • Nathy-Paris's Profile Photo

VT Meeting in Takayama on april 9th 2009 ?

by Nathy-Paris Online Now Mar 17, 2009 at 5:57 AM

Hello everybody

I travel on my own to japan for the first time, and I will spend a night in Takayama on april 9th 2009.

I would be pleased to meet local people for a drink, and discovering the city by night.

Hoping you will have a little time to meet me,
      Thank you,

Nathalie

• Maxiediva's Profile Photo

Sanno Festival (14-15Apr) 2009

by Maxiediva Online Now Feb 24, 2009 at 7:14 AM

Hi fellow VTs,
      I'm heading to Takayama for the Sanno Festival 2009.

1. Which of the 2 days are more festive and when do the puppets make their appearance? Will it be daytime on the 1st day or night-time? Is there anything spectacular on the 14th night and 15th? I want to enjoy the whole experience but I can't get a room on the 14Apr (unless someone here lives in Takayama and don't mind lending a sofa / futon / pillow for the night :-))

2. Is the train station safe to spend the night (as a last resort)? else I have to catch the last train out to Osaka at 8pm.

3. Anyone else making their way to the festival?

Thanks all.

• Sanno Matsuri Spring Festival PLEASE HELP!

by lois164 Online Now Feb 1, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Hi, my friend and I are planning to go to Takayama on 15th April to catch the festival. Actually we are pretty much clueless about how to get there. Would it be better to go on the 14th? We are thinking of staying in Tokyo then taking the train with the JR pass to get to Takayama. Or is it better to stay in Takayama. Also, what is the timing and location of the festival? I have searched online that it is associated with the Hie shrine, but I don't really know where we should head. Please help us with this :D Your help would be greatly appreciated!

1 Answer Feb 24, 2009 at 6:57 AM
    • Takayama April festival

by debbie08 Online Now Nov 19, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Hello, we will be in Takayama for 1 day either 14 or 15 April 2009. We want to see the Spring Festival. Could anyone please tell me whether it is best to be there late on the 14th for the evening festival and spend the 15th in the town, or whether all the events are focused on the 14th April and therefore we should arrive early on that day? I have heard there are 2 parades - what are the dates and times of these? Any help is appreciated.
      Thank you.

• pepemorris11's Profile Photo

Must see places in Takayama

by pepemorris11 Online Now Oct 13, 2007 at 2:50 AM

Hi there. We will be in Takayama on 6 and 7 Nov. We are not young and energetic so please tell us what are the must see places and must eat places. we are also budget travellers but we would like to taste the local cuisine. we love nature and we do not mind walks or hikes rather than to temple hop.so much to see and do. so little time, money and energy. PLEASE HELP! tHANK U

5 Answers Oct 17, 2007 at 2:43 AM
    • akikonomu's Profile Photo

Weather in late September

by akikonomu Online Now Sep 2, 2007 at 8:46 PM

Dear fellow VTers

I'll be in Takayama/Kanazawa/Shirakawa between 20 Sep to 26 Sep. Check of the weather report history shows rainy weather. As we'll be driving from Takayama towards Gokayama, I notice some roads are closed in the event of heavy rain.

Any advice on some good routes and whether the weather will clear up by then?

Thanks in advance

• masha286's Profile Photo

When do the leaves turn red in Takayama?

by masha286 Online Now Aug 30, 2007 at 4:05 AM

Those who visited Takayama for the October Festival, or those who just happen to live in the area: do the leaves turn at the beginning of October or later? Takayama's tourist page says "early Sept- early Oct". I think it's BS. No way it can start so early. Or can it?

1 Answer Aug 30, 2007 at 8:05 AM
    • fogcat's Profile Photo

Accomodation for the October Festival

by fogcat Online Now Jul 7, 2006 at 12:50 PM

I'm making my first visit to Japan in October and when I found out the festival was on I decided I should see it. But it must be very popular because all the accomodation I've found (via the web) is booked out for 9th Oct.

Can anyone suggests any alternative lists that I (non-Japanese speaking) can use to try and locate some more obscure or less obvious accoummodation that just might still be available for 9th Oct.

3 Answers Jul 7, 2006 at 7:16 PM
    • FreeCloud's Profile Photo

Oct.9-10 festival

by FreeCloud Online Now May 14, 2006 at 3:09 PM

What will happen during Oct.9-10 festival? Will there be any float parade on the street? If so, where will be the usual path/route for the parade? Where will be the best place (and when the best time) to experience the event in Takayama?

If we arrive at Takayama in the early afternoon of Oct.9, will we miss something important of that morning? Our original plan is to arrive on Oct.8, but just wonder if there is any other option.

Thanks for any info/advice/suggestion!

2 Answers May 17, 2006 at 9:44 AM
    • FreeCloud's Profile Photo

How many days in Takayama (Gifu ken)?

by FreeCloud Online Now Apr 16, 2006 at 5:19 PM

We would like to see the Oct.9/10 festival - IF I can book a hotel, so far it seems all hotels are fully booked! :(

Q1: How many days would it take to see the festival (2 days) and tour the small town?
      Q2: Is there any other day trip one can take from Takayama? E.g., is there any bus tour taking us to "Historic Villages of Shirakawa-go or Gokayama", going by ourselves seem to be rather time consuming (need multiple transfers)?
      Q3: Any suggestion on booking a hotel for the time?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2 Answers Apr 25, 2006 at 3:22 AM
    • Earliest/fastest way from Tokyo to Takayama, and back

by alexpalmer Online Now Mar 28, 2006 at 2:44 AM

Hello,

I need to get from Tokyo to Takayama, on friday, 14th of April. What is the earliest and fast way i can get there, and what is the latest time i can leave in order to get back to Tokyo?

I heard the bus at 5.5 hours is the best way - but the website is in japanese, so i cant tell what's the earliest time the bus departs tokyo, and the latest time a bus departs Takayama back to tokyo!

I hope you can help,

CHeers,
      alex

1 Answer Mar 28, 2006 at 5:45 AM
    • Phantasm's Profile Photo

Suggestions for a ryokan or minshuku in Takayama and Kananzawa?

by Phantasm Online Now Feb 21, 2006 at 12:33 AM

Planning on visiting both Takayama and Kananzawa and was hoping that somebody could recommend a good ryokan or minshuku. Would like to have a Japanese room and use an onsen. Would like to have meals there as well to have the full experience. Thanks in advance for the help!

5 Answers Feb 25, 2008 at 2:09 AM
    • hareron's Profile Photo

Kanji reader

by hareron Online Now Feb 17, 2004 at 8:06 AM

I need to translate a Kanji inscription. From what I've seen it looks incredibly complex.

3 Answers Feb 19, 2004 at 11:32 PM