Takayama Travel Answers

change location

Takayama coming from Matsumoto going to Kanazawa

by Donnalaura20 Online Now Jan 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Hi,

Curling our Japan Tour we also want to see some more rural areas. Coming from Tokio we want to go to Matsumoto, then Takayama and then Kanazawa. To Matsumoto and from Kanazawa we will take a train.

First I was thinking of renting a car, but the dropoff at another location is very expensive.

Alternatively there is the Bus option, which has two Main downsides for me: 1.we have all our luggage we always have to carry arround and have to store somewhere. 2. we cannot stop when we want Ort do sidetours (i.e.S-go).

Do you think this Tour is possible by Bus?
Ort any ideas where to get a rental Car without High dropoff fees.

Thanks,

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • dru46's Profile Photo

Re: Takayama coming from Matsumoto going to Kanazawa

by dru46 Online Now Jan 5, 2013 at 10:07 PM

If you are taking a regular "tour"bus, they have space under the passenger area. Usually 1 piece of luggage is free, and I think they would be okay to let you have 2, but you might have to negotiate it. You are correct, you cannot just get off and on wherever you want, unless you are taking city buses.

As for renting a car, make sure you check every company available. I'm sure you did a lot of research, but you never know if you might find one that has a special deal.

Also, have you considered shipping your luggage to your destination? I think it is about 1000 yen, but probably more, to use the courier services. You can send your bags to your next hotel and just relax on the buses. You can hop on and off, if possible without worrying about your luggage. Or, you can search for a luggage storage space in Tokyo or somewhere else.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • don01's Profile Photo

Re: Takayama coming from Matsumoto going to Kanazawa

by don01 Online Now Jan 7, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Further to Dru46s comments about forwarding baggage.
    [- that guy is always on the money :-)]

This was how we travelled around in Oct ~ Nov '12 by train and it worked like a treat.
    Step
    1. have the address of the next hotel.
    2. put aside in a backpack or handy bag your "cleans"
    3.The MORNING BEFORE YOUR DEPARTURE DAY (using overnight frieght will save you a packet)
    pack your stuff up
    4.Call the desk or take it down and they will help fill out the docket, measure the bags and call up the couriers
    (usually got to be by 11am - check with the hotel well in advance)

Hey presto your bags are gone and will be waiting for you at the next hotel
    NO lugging bags any further than the front desk - magic to us.

Costs
    I found one docket for our modest baggage and it was for Y3600 Osaka to Hiroshima
    The rates seem to be by size of bags
    They total the width length and height in cm and look up the table
    ours were 120cm 2 off and 100cm one off. Y1270x2 + Y1060

check out this web site for some more info if you're interested
    kuronekoyamato.co.jp/en/tour...

enjoy the trip and bring home great memories
    Don

ps don't forget your razor and tooth brush :-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines