Takayama Travel Answers

change location

Budget Traveler Need Advice

by hortaleza Online Now May 18, 2009 at 11:07 PM

Hi! I'm planning a trip to Takayam sometime in October 2009. I would like to spend some time in Tokyo first, then on to Takayama. As I've never traveled to Japan before, and I hear everything is just so pricey, around how much do I have to prepare if I wanted to stay for about 3 days in Tokyo and two days in Takayama?

Also, anybody got some advice on budget places to stayin both Tokyo and Takayama? And least expensive routes to Takayama from Tokyo and back?

Thank you so much!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • unaS's Profile Photo

Re: Budget Traveler Need Advice

by unaS Online Now May 18, 2009 at 11:30 PM

I'm not familiar with Takayama, but in Tokyo I stayed in a great budget hotel.
    If you contact them, be sure to ask for a room in the older wing for the best rates. They have removed the second bed making the single a large, comfortable room.

Asia Kaikan (Asia Center of Japan)
    asiacenter.or.jp/eng/index.h...

Full details on my Tokyo page, Tips/Hotels & Accommodations.

Also more tips on visiting Japan on a budget on my Japan pages and on my Tokyo tips.

Have fun!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • TexasDave's Profile Photo

by TexasDave Online Now May 19, 2009 at 5:15 AM

I stayed on one of the least expensive places in Takayama and have the details on my page. The train to Takayama leaves out of Nagoya. i would recommend that you spend one day less in Tokyo and make a stop in Kyoto. Although there are interesting things to see in Tokyo, it is basically a large, modern city. There is a tremendous amount of culture in Kyoto and in my opinion is a nicer city to visit.

• Re: Budget Traveler Need Advice

by hortaleza Online Now May 19, 2009 at 10:40 PM

UnaS and TexasDave, thank you so much for your helpful tips.

'Will be visiting the pages suggested to get more ideas. I am definitely considering cutting down on my days in Tokyo, as I am not so fond of big cities myself (being in one myself right now).

• unaS's Profile Photo

by unaS Online Now May 20, 2009 at 6:15 AM

I found Kyoto much more to my liking. Tokyo isn't just a megapolis, it is frenetic!

• KathyVichta's Profile Photo

by KathyVichta Online Now May 24, 2009 at 12:19 AM

Don't give up on Tokyo completely - fascinating place and the Asakusa area is old and wonderful... you can find a cheapish hotel near Ueno park easily (internet search) and subway travel is very easy - your hotel will always help.

My first advice about accommodation is to investigate the Toyoko Inn chain... (http://www.toyoko-inn.com/eng/)in Tokyo, Kyoto and most places right across Japan, they are great, reliable, clean and comfy and include free breakfast for about 5,000 to 8,500 yen (single/double). They are always in the most convenient places, have broadband connections in every room (free) and tvs and tea making etc etc... love them.

That being said there isn't a Toyoko Inn in Takayama and it can be quite expensive there. Well worth a couple of nights though and there are a few cheaper ryokan if you don't need to be right in the middle of town.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines