Takayama Travel Answers

change location
fogcat's Profile Photo

Accomodation for the October Festival

by fogcat Online Now Jul 7, 2006 at 12:50 PM

I'm making my first visit to Japan in October and when I found out the festival was on I decided I should see it. But it must be very popular because all the accomodation I've found (via the web) is booked out for 9th Oct.

Can anyone suggests any alternative lists that I (non-Japanese speaking) can use to try and locate some more obscure or less obvious accoummodation that just might still be available for 9th Oct.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • eenelfje's Profile Photo

RE: Accomodation for the October Festival

by eenelfje Online Now Jul 7, 2006 at 3:55 PM

I was in Takayama for the festival on 14 & 15 April this year.

I stayed at Takayama Tenshoji Youth Hostel. Its a very nice hostel at a buddist temple. It has large dorms and single and double rooms all Japanese style. The location is good too. And its cheap. I paid 3625yen for a dorm.

While all the other accomodations where full during that festival, this hostel was almost full but still had rooms available.

Only..the monk has an evening curfew. At 21.45pm you must be in and 22.00pm its lights out and sleeping time. In the morning he wakes you up around 7am with Japanes flut music for breakfast (but you can stay in bed if you want)

But dont worry when I was there people of all ages where staying at the hostel, young and old and even a family with baby.

I just called the hostel and booked. The monk can speak some English, talk slow and he will understand you.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • d.pearce's Profile Photo

RE: Accomodation for the October Festival

by d.pearce Online Now Jul 7, 2006 at 7:10 PM

Hello Oktoberfest rocks. The starting dates for this year are 2006 Sep. 16th - Oct. 3rd 18 Days It starts from 8am to 10pm everyday except opening day which it starts at 12, accomodation is very hard to get. Here is a site for Oktoberfest
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oktobe... Good Luck Its well worth it

• d.pearce's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Accomodation for the October Festival

by d.pearce Online Now Jul 7, 2006 at 7:16 PM

sorry mate half asleep here not reading right, please disreguard the last reply

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines